Thread: Juicy 5 woes!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Bonking ... not feelin' well Juicy 5 woes!

I have Juicy 5s on my KHS DJ100 and the rear brake is giving me serious problems. I have bled the brake and the push the pistons back but I still get strong drag,

I noticed the rotor has about 2mm - 3mm of space before the outer pad and no space between the inner pad and the rotor. I suspect that the tabs are at fault as they aren't faced would it be advisable to put a 2mm spacer between the adapter and the tabs?

As a second solution could I dremel the tabs down a bit or should I leave that for the LBS?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Try this first

Take your pad spacer and wedge it between the pads. Next, remove the pad from the side that's not moving and then insert the spacer again and pump the lever a few times to get the stuck piston to pop out. Remove the pad spacer and the other pad and push the stuck piston in enough so you can fit both pads in the caliper. insert pad spacer again and pump the lever again two or three times to allow the seals around the pistons to reset themselves. Mount brake as usual and center it. If this doesn't work, there might be some sort of tolerance issue in the caliper (caliper or piston) that's causing the piston to bind up, and you'll need to have your shop contact Avid for a warranty.
    Also, inspect the pistons for signs of wear. Scratches or chips on the pistons can lead to retraction issues as well.

Meh.
    Or try this... Have you centered the caliper? Can the caliper move over any more in the direction that it needs to move? If the adjustment is maxed out, you'll need to face to move the caliper away from the hub (or use rotor shims to move the rotor outboard), or use washers between the adapter and the frame to move the caliper inboard or towards the hub.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    yeah..I second Will's suggestion.. it seems you haven't tried recentering.. it should be enough to "equalize" the free space

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks guys. I did center the caliper initially and maxed the adjustment which didn't help. I ended up dremeling the tabs with the lowest grit attachment I had. That was enough to get the rotor center between the pads with no drag.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by iscri
    Thanks guys. I did center the caliper initially and maxed the adjustment which didn't help. I ended up dremeling the tabs with the lowest grit attachment I had. That was enough to get the rotor center between the pads with no drag.
    glad you got it to work....maybe next time you have the bike down for service you could ask your LBS to face the tabs... just so you know they are aligned correctly... dremeling manually doesn't guarantee this, but the CPS adjustment on your brakes does make up for it...