mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Juicy 5 vs. Juicy 7

Hi guys,

I'm a new XC mountain biker, and after the first awesome season, I'm ready for an equipment upgrade.
    Can anyone tell me the major differences between the Avid Juicy 5's and the Juicy 7's? I am looking at a new bike, and bike A has the juicy 5's, and is also a bit cheaper, bike B has the Juicy 7's, as well as a little bit more supension on the front. (As well as some other upgrades)
    I want to know if the Juicy 7's are that much better than the Juicy 5 system.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i think the juicy 7s are a little lighter and have that dial that adjusts the brake pad on the front which according to many of the reviews is completely useless, i have juicy 5s on my epic, they work fine no noise at all, decent power and modulation also

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

The main difference....

between the 7's and the 5's is the pad contact adjustment. The red knob on the front of the brake lever. This adjusts exactly at what point in the lever pull the pads start to move and make contact with the rotor. When used in combination with the reach adjustment it is a very useful feature and lets you custom tune the lever feel to your preference. It does work if the brakes are properly set up to begin with. However it is not essential, but rather a "nice to have feature". Other wise the 5's and 7's are pretty much identical. The 7's are just a bit more tuneable. Either brake will perform well. So don't let the brakes be the final determining factor in your decision. Get the bike that you want and let other major and more expensive components be you guide. Basically get the bike that you want. Both brake systems work fine, ones just a little more adjustable is all.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    between the 7's and the 5's is the pad contact adjustment. The red knob on the front of the brake lever. This adjusts exactly at what point in the lever pull the pads start to move and make contact with the rotor. When used in combination with the reach adjustment it is a very useful feature and lets you custom tune the lever feel to your preference. It does work if the brakes are properly set up to begin with. However it is not essential, but rather a "nice to have feature". Other wise the 5's and 7's are pretty much identical. The 7's are just a bit more tuneable. Either brake will perform well. So don't let the brakes be the final determining factor in your decision. Get the bike that you want and let other major and more expensive components be you guide. Basically get the bike that you want. Both brake systems work fine, ones just a little more adjustable is all.

Good Dirt
    Well said. The brakes are identical other than the knob. And though not essential, the knob does indeed make a difference.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks Guys, this will help me.
    Happy New Year!

T_N
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    like squash said there is that little adjustment knob, i think the only other difference is that the seven is two grams lighter than the five