mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Juicy 5 sudden hiss?

Ok, if this is covered somewhere else I apologize but I could not find it anywhere. I was cruising down a hill this afternoon on my Trek Fuel EX8 when I hear a sudden and short lived hissing noise, like when a tire goes...but my tires were fine. Since the noise sounded like an air leak I also checked my front and rear suspension and both were holding air fine. My Front brakes, however (even before this ride) were very squishy. But they were operational so I continued to use them. After the hiss the brakes may have become just a bit more squishy, it is hard for me to tell - but this is the only area of the bike I can think of as a possible culprit. The brakes still seem to work, but I have very little confidence in them.

Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The hiss I don't know about but you need to bleed the front brake.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    just in case anyone else has similar problem: bled the brakes but to no avail. LBS had to send it back to Avid who fixed it and returned it. luckily they have a 2 year warranty so the repair did not cost me anything more than the near 2 weeks of downtime.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Okay that's cool....

but what was the problem? A hiss can be anything from escaping air, as you first thought, or pad contamination of some sort, to a small bit in the caliper that came loose and was making contact with the rotor. Inquiring minds want to know! If you know what they found and how it was fixed, post it up! It might save someone else a headache. Information is what this site is all about. Those that "know" helping those that don't.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Unfortunately the repair ticket only says that they replaced some seals in the brake lever unit. The hiss is still a mystery, unless a bad seal can create some type of hiss. It was certainly not a fluid leak of any sort because the brakes were still full. I wish I had more information about the problem and, more importantly, what could have caused it. But Avid nor my LBS could offer any suggestions other than a fluke malfunction.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    you have slime in your tires?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    No slime. Just standard tubes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    A bit off dry leaf in the caliper will make a hissing sound.

Since you had no air leaks, I suspect you just picked up a bit off debris and your imagination took over from there and made the brake "feel" worse when you couldn't find the cause.