mtbr member

Juicy 5 Q: hole in fluid reservoir?

I'm new to Juicy's so maybe I'm naive in how they feel. I've only bled my Formula K24s and they bite quickly when pulling the levers; however, after bleeding the lever on the Juicy's they still come parallel to the bar so don't know if this is how Juicy's act

I just got my Juicy 5s (new rotors, pads, and brakes) and had to shorten the lines...did a bleed at the lever to extract bubbles. Did this a few weeks ago and everything was nice and tight with the pad guard thingy between the pads. Installed the brakes on my bike after I got my new wheelset, and the lever came really close to the handlebars before biting the pads.

I went to see if the lever had bubbles so went to bleed the lever...got some bubbles out, pushed fluid in, and noticed fluid was coming out this hole that's on the fluid reservoir when I pushed fluid in (where it says 'dot 5 or 4 fluid only'). What is this????

PS Even after pushing fluid in after extracting bubbles, the lever still comes parallel to the bars before biting.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    the juicy 5's have a lever throw-adjustment screw, you need a 2 mm (tiny) Allen Wrench to adjust it....if you look in the lever housing under the lever you can see a threaded metal screw, the Allen Key fits on the end of it.

by the way, Its a PITA to adjust while the lever is clamped to your bars, you might need to remove it to make the allen key fit into the tiny hole at the end of that screw.

The Avid user manual has crappy diagrams and instructions, so you'll just have to turn it either way till the levers have the right feel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The hole in the reservoir cap is a vent. There is a rubber bladder under the cap that seals the reservoir. If you have Dot fluid coming out of this hole, you have a leak and need to replace the bladder.

I'm guessing that you got water in through that hole washing the bike etc. and that is the fluid you saw (no problem).

TNC
    noMAD man
    Good call on the possibility of water getting in the vent rather than brake fluid coming out. Definitely worth a check.

On the lever reach adjustment on the Juicy 5, a "ball" type allen wrench allows you to adjust this item without having to remove anything. You can also shorten a regular cheap allen wrench for this purpose and keep it in your Camelback for trailside use.

mtbr member
    I don't think it's water since I got the brakes new, and they haven't seen any water or washing yet. When I push fluid into the bleed port, some comes out that vent on both brakes...that's why I thought it was weird.

As for lever throw adjustment...the location of the lever is perfect when not being used (if I pushed it out more I wouldn't be able to reach it)...it's only when I go to pull the lever that it has a lot of give before biting the pads. I don't think it's a bad bleed because I bled at the lever and couldn't get any more fluid in thru the port and at which point fluid comes thru that vent. Maybe do a full bleed at the caliper and lever?

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by monkies
    I don't think it's water since I got the brakes new, and they haven't seen any water or washing yet. When I push fluid into the bleed port, some comes out that vent on both brakes...that's why I thought it was weird.

As for lever throw adjustment...the location of the lever is perfect when not being used (if I pushed it out more I wouldn't be able to reach it)...it's only when I go to pull the lever that it has a lot of give before biting the pads. I don't think it's a bad bleed because I bled at the lever and couldn't get any more fluid in thru the port and at which point fluid comes thru that vent. Maybe do a full bleed at the caliper and lever?
    On your comment about bleeding at the lever it sounds like you're just working at the lever and not at the lever and caliper simultaneously. I don't know. I don't think you can confirm or attain a good bleed without doing the lever and caliper syringe bleed method. IMO you have to push fluid in both directions to really clear air bubbles before you get down to the last step of pulling a vacuum at the lever.

If indeed you have brake fluid coming out of the vent, you may have pushed too hard at the lever syringe...though it is possible that the rubber vent bladder was defective.

Founder: Dirty3hirties

Bleed video

Yo. You probably haven't watched this video since you're used to bleeding Formula brakes. Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mg6NbIjmOM

P.S....and get rid of that narrow a$$ bar.....

P.S.S.....and mark the 26th - 28th on your calendar.