Gnarley!!!!!

Juicy 5 problems.. pressure.

Alright everyone, ever since the day I bought my 575, I have had nothing but brake problems. I bought the avid kit did it myself, 2 days later, the levers go straight to the handlebars. If I pump them a little, it gets better.

I even took it in to the LBS to get them done. He got them better than I did, but still, not even 2 weeks later they required to be "pumped" to get the stiffness back and that hardly worked. If I tilt the bike vertical, not within 5 minutes, I can pull the lever to the bar.

obviously, there is air getting in. My question is where the heck to I start first? I'm about to put an order in online for some stuff and was wondering what I should order so I can start troubleshooting this.

Edit: BTW: Juicy 5's.

Thanks!
    "I saw a guy crapping on the side of a very busy trail"
    -Unkownrash

-08 Yeti 575

ride hard take risks
    A good starting place is to replace the olive where the hose goes into the master cylinder, it may just need some snugging up also.

Is this happening to both brakes at the same time??
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Gnarley!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    A good starting place is to replace the olive where the hose goes into the master cylinder, it may just need some snugging up also.

Is this happening to both brakes at the same time??
    Yes it happends to both of them, although the front is much worse then the back.

What is the exact name of that "olive"? Do you have a link?
    -Unkownrash

-08 Yeti 575

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Burtonrider250
    Yes it happends to both of them, although the front is much worse then the back.

What is the exact name of that "olive"? Do you have a link?
    Thats crazy that both have the same problem, my guess would be possibly a assembly error.

Page 4-6 they call it a compression ring.

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/95-5015-019-000.pdf
    Formotion Products

Gnarley!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Thats crazy that both have the same problem, my guess would be possibly a assembly error.

Page 4-6 they call it a compression ring.

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/95-5015-019-000.pdf
    Much appreciated. I will let you know how it goes man.
    -Unkownrash

-08 Yeti 575

29 some of the time...
    That's an odd one. So you get a firm bleed off the start and after riding it goes soft on you? Terrible time of year for it, but it might be worth a look into sending them in for a warranty/inspection at SRAM. Could be as simple as a bad batch of o-rings that were used on that batch of brakes

Either that or you have air bubbles stuck in there somewhere that haven't been bled out.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Unfortunately myself and 2 other friends have had the same problems, with both Juicy3's and Juicy5's. Have tried re-bleeding many times, always feel great after the bleed but if you turn the bike up even 90 degrees (as if diong a wheelie or lifting over a big log) and grab the lever it goes straight to the bar... then you have to "pump" the lever to get any brakes. I tried so many things and the thing that finally worked was the trash can and off to the LBS to get some Shimano SLX brakes which work beautifully now. I hope you have better luck than I did because it sucks to shell out $$ for new stuff like that.
    NW MTB Addict

Gnarley!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnstoc
    Unfortunately myself and 2 other friends have had the same problems, with both Juicy3's and Juicy5's. Have tried re-bleeding many times, always feel great after the bleed but if you turn the bike up even 90 degrees (as if diong a wheelie or lifting over a big log) and grab the lever it goes straight to the bar... then you have to "pump" the lever to get any brakes. I tried so many things and the thing that finally worked was the trash can and off to the LBS to get some Shimano SLX brakes which work beautifully now. I hope you have better luck than I did because it sucks to shell out $$ for new stuff like that.
    I'm really getting sick of it, very frustrating. Juicy 7's are cheap at around 100 bucks a piece. My time is worth that to be honest.
    -Unkownrash

-08 Yeti 575

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It sure sounds like you are not getting the air bled out of the master cylinder.

Gnarley!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    It sure sounds like you are not getting the air bled out of the master cylinder.
    I have personal bled it and so has my shop.

It's good for a couple rides, after that it starts losing pressure.

Not to mention, the braking power pretty much sucks too even when there is pressure . If I slammed my front brake, I wouldn't go over the handlebars.
    -Unkownrash

-08 Yeti 575

ride hard take risks
    I gots ta agree with gmcttr their is something up with the bleed or your sucking air in. When you and the LBS bleed the brakes do you get air bubbles or plain fluid??
    Formotion Products

Meh.
    Inspect the fittings, around the pistons, between the caliper halves, the reservoir cap for any wetness.

Tap the caliper and hoses while bleeding.

If you applied too much pressure while bleeding, it is possible that you ruptured or unseated the diaphragm under the resi cap.