mtbr member

Juicy 5 lever return

My Avid Juicy 5ís that came on my Stumpjumper are about 9 months old. The lever does not return quickly after braking. The brakes donít feel spongy when braking, but right afterwards the lever has a lot of play. It takes about 10-15 seconds for the play in the lever to dissipate. I donít know if the issue is the calipers or the levers. I have Juicy 7ís on my other bike and my wifeís bike has Juicy 5ís; neither has this issue. Iíve tried spraying lube in the lever pivots, but no success. Anyone have this issue or have any advice? Thanks.

Meh.
    Pull everything (lever, knuckle, pushrod) out and clean thoroughly. Sometimes stuff just gets gunked up in there. I had an issue with Loctite getting on everything.

If that's not the issue... try bleeding it. Otherwise, sounds like it's a MC issue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    The seal inside the lever (next to the spring) may be damaged, I had that same issue with my Juicy 7 front brake and although I didn't have a replacement seal was able to fix it. The seal was slightly damaged on one end and a small piece of rubber had come off and may have blocked the movement.