mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Juicy 5 lever play

I have juicy 5's on my bike and all has been great for over a year. I currently switched to cliplwess pedals from platforms and am falling every ride, not hard. Wel when I tried a wheelie and fell back right on my ace the bike bars twisted up. since then the rear brake lever has play before the lever contacts the plunger, everything looks good(adjustment as well as the set screw on the pivot rod) but there is play. Today I went over the bars and now the front brake is doing the same thing. I dont think there is air that all of a sudden got in there because the brakes seem to work fine, except where the play is, is where it seemed to have the slight braking. Now where the play ends and hits the plunger the brakes seem really touchy(front one want to lock up real fast). The front brake does have the click when you push out on the lever but the rear acts like it will get there but wont. Pads, rotors and calipers look goodand the levers have minor scratching but no major damage and appear the have barely brushed the ground.... Any suggestion on what mechanical to look at?

Thanks in advance!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Also I was told an easy way to test for air is to turn the bike upside down and if the lever soes soft that there is air inside and needs to be bled. Is there any truth to this? Or any reason this would happen(go soft)?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    no hints?