mtbr member

juicy 5 engagement point

I have a set of new juicy 5 brakes (2006 I think). The trouble I'm having is that each brake engages at a different point in its lever travel. The rear is close enough to the bar that I can actually squeeze it almost right into the grip. I tried bleeding per Avid's instructions, using their bleed kit, but it didn't change anything. What I'd like is for both levers to engage at roughly the same point in their respective lever's travel, but also further out from the grips would be much better. Is there a way of getting this without having the pads dragging on the rotors?

Pics below are of each lever fully open, and closed to the point of initial engagement, so pads just touching the rotors.

front_open.jpg

front_engaged.jpg

rear_open.jpg

rear_engaged.jpg

Meh.
    Overfill the system by bleeding with the pistons slightly extended or pump out the pistons by pulling the lever a bit with nothing between the pads.

If the lever has a squishy feel then you may not have gotten all the air out of the system. Not everybody gets a perfect bleed their first time.

mtbr member
    Bled the rear brake again, with the disc out of the caliper & the pistons pushed out a little. The engagement is farther out, and the brake feels more positive. So, thanks