mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Juicy 5 Bleed Problem

I shortened my hoses and bled my Juicy 5's for the first time, and I ran into some problems:
    1) Slow leak where hose screws into lever on front brake. Should I get new hardware, shorten the hose a bit, and start over? Or is there something else that would cause this? Fluid leaks even if the lever is not pulled. It's very slow, but it is definitely escaping.
    2) Rotor Rub. It looks like the pistons are coming in a bit farther than they did originally. My first assumption is that I overfilled the system. Am I right? I've tried to fix it by alleviating some fluid, but haven't really gotten anywhere.

I'm a bit frustrated right now. When I pull the lever, the pads seem to lock on the rotor at the right time, but they don't go back out far enough. I haven't tried to adjust the rear brake yet but from the look of it, it's the same as the other one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    did you use the caliper spreader block that comes with the avid bleed kit? My juicy three's had that clearance issue every time I changed pads. When I bled them it was perfect again.

ride hard take risks
    Replace the barb and compression fitting.

Use the transport clip as suggested or feeler gauges between pads and rotor.

Stroker bleeding video
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    I am by no means an expert, but you may have gotten some dirt( piece of brake hose??) in the fluid that is now causing the leak. All brake systems are very susceptible to this. Maybe you need to clean out the whole system???

turtles make me hot
    Replace the hose end hardware like dogonfr said.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    I did this yesterday (after getting ripped a new one for the replacement parts). The compression fitting looked screwed up when I removed it.

When I did the bleed I removed the pads and inserted the bleed block. I may have used the wrong block the first time, which may have led to overfilling the system...but I re-bled the front brake and am still having problems.

I think I've discovered the problem though. One of the pistons is not engaging when I squeeze the lever. I've tried holding the one in while squeezing the lever, but I can't get it out very far. I cleaned it up and applied some brake fluid, but I still didn't get much movement. I don't really want to take apart the caliper, but I guess this might be necessary. Thoughts, anyone?

Rub it............
    You have air in the system. Do not take the caliper apart. It will just further your problems.

My first time bleeding Juicy's made them worse. It took me 2 more tries to get it right. Now its just a one shot deal. But I didn't follow the directions word for word. So I screwed myself on that one. Learning process.

Start over with the bleed. Follow the directions word for word. Do not skip any steps. It might take you a couple of tries to get all the air out since you had to replace the compression fitting and it was leaking. Make sure all your fittings are tight.

If you are still having issues, you might want to visit your LBS.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus
    I did this yesterday (after getting ripped a new one for the replacement parts). The compression fitting looked screwed up when I removed it.
    Sorry for the excess over seas pricing that stuff really suxz and is unfair,

Check the hose cut OscarW has a good point here. For some reason the banjo fitting is not sealing the barb to hose, Re check what you did carefully us people tend to look at a problem and look beyond.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I sorted it all out. I got the front piston to come out. The rear brake was just overfilled. I rebled both brakes, and everything is back to normal (actually a little better than normal).

I think I used the wrong bleed block the first time. Maybe I'm a moron, but the directions aren't clear about which block to use. It doesn't help that both have the number 5 listed, and the directions are for 2010 brakes, which don't include a Juicy 5.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr

Use the transport clip as suggested or feeler gauges between pads and rotor.

Stroker bleeding video
    Such a very amazing link!
    Thank you for the post.