Thread: juicy 3s vs BB7

Gig 'Em Aggies !

juicy 3s vs BB7

Howdy! need ya'lls advice on whether to get BB7s or Juicy 3s as my next brake kit. my bike came with tektro something or the other disc brakes which are garbage and not to mention old and in need of replacement. ok so this post has multiple questions sorry if this is a repost i did a real quick search but didnt find what i needed, if you have links then give 'em but no flaming !! ok 1) will 185mm work on my hardrock as the front rotor. 2) juicys or BB7? i ride my bike daily to campus and back and i go on the trails as often as i can once every 1and1/2 to 2 weeks. i want something hassle free and reliable. i dont want to have to adjust them every 10 seconds. now are hydraulics a pain to deal with or are they reliable ? i want peace of mind overall. adn i want reallllll good stopping power. im not a small guy and so i was considering the bigger rotor upfront if possible to stop all the furious momentum ! thanks guys
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="4"][SIZE="3"]06[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE="4"][SIZE="3"]Specialized[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE="4"][SIZE="3"]Hardrock Sport Disc[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"]GIG 'EM AGGIES!![/SIZE] [/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Hydraulic brakes are reliable, but if you do need work done on them, it's pretty pricey. The shop I work at charges $30 for a brake bleed, vs. $10 to install a new brake cable and adjust the brakes.

The BB7's are pretty sweet. They have a lot of adjustability, and when set up properly, they'll feel just as good as cheap hydraulic brakes (like the Juicy 3's). The problem is, most people don't adjust them properly. I think that's entirely why they have a bad rap with home mechanics.

For a cheaper option, go with some BB5s. They are basically BB7s but half as expensive.

For better stopping power, go with a 203 on the front. I wouldn't run any smaller than a 185mm on the front, but I'm in CO and we have lots of very steep, long descents.

Gig 'Em Aggies !
    will a 203 fit up front on my bike without any adjustments ?
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="4"][SIZE="3"]06[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE="4"][SIZE="3"]Specialized[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE="4"][SIZE="3"]Hardrock Sport Disc[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

Gig 'Em Aggies !
    http://cgi.ebay.com/AVID-JUICY-5-DOW...3%3A1|294%3A50

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/AVID-JUICY-5-203...3%3A1|294%3A50

are these any good? are they complete kits or do i have to buy anything with them ?? and will 203 mm fit all around ?
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    you need an adapter specific to the rotor size, they are different for each size rotor. I don't know what kind of fork you have, so I can't say exactly what you need.

Gig 'Em Aggies !
    reading all the stuff on juicy's has me thinking twice. wow is every body dissatisfied with these things ?
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have Juicy 3s and have no problems with them at all. I was thinking of upgrading, but given that these stop me everytime without issue I couldn't justify it.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by nato_the_greato
    ...For a cheaper option, go with some BB5s. They are basically BB7s but half as expensive...
    HAHAHAHA...
    well sh!t, why didn't I just get the 5's then?...I feel like such a dummy
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Juicy 3's aren't terrible, but they're not great. They're cheap hydraulics.

In my mind, cheap hydraulics are better than cheap mechanicals, good mechanicals are better than cheap hydraulics, and good hydraulics are better than good mechanicals.

Gig 'Em Aggies !
    ok i guess im sold on the juicy 5s. now about these ebay ones? why are they so much cheaper than ive seen on other websites ? are they an older model ? does that matter ? and are these complete kits ready to be installed or is something missing that has to be bought on the side ?? thanks guys i appreciate the answers to my endless questions, just wanna be sure bout the purchase is all ...
    [/SIZE]

Fat-tired Roadie
    Your fork is probably rated for a certain size of rotor. Actually, the frame might also be rated for a certain size, but I'd be less inclined to worry about that - I think Hardrocks are pretty bomber.

The engineers who designed it probably had a safety margin in mind. But still... It would suck to damage the fork, and if you still have that RST Gila thing on your Hardrock, a larger rotor might also warp it more (I hated that fork.)

I had a Tektro IO on the front of a commute bike for a while. At least it was better than center-pulls on steel rims.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Gig 'Em Aggies !
    so running bigger rotors can hurt the fork ? yes i do have the RST Gila's and yeah andrew the tektro's are good for commuting but its kinda scary out on the trails with these things.. so upgrade size of rotor or not ? how often do forks get ruined after upgraded rotor sizes? is this common or just a polite warning ???
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    BB7's/BB5's!!!! all juicy's suck. 3's are a waste of time and money and the worst ever. crap crap. 5's are basically 7's and 7's are horrible.

also, your looking at hydro vrs mech. BB7's are great mechs. BB5's are the same just minus the adjustment, but function exactly the same.

if you go hydro get anything but avid.

i would go BB5. easier to setup and maintain down the road.