mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Juicy 3's makin some weird noises

Just splurged for my first $1000+ bicycle. Picked up a trek fuel ex 5. Thought this would solve my problem with mechanical failure, but....It has the juicy 3's on it, and they were fine the first few days. Took it out on some trails, and after a while when I pulled the rear brake, it would sound and feel like the pulsating of ABS in a car. I'm guessing they didn't set it up properly bc after about 15 miles the front wheel almost fell off.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Front wheel coming off should have nothing to do with the brakes, make sure those quick release levers are tight before every ride. How many rides have you taken it on? It will take several miles of trail or some hard stops on the street to bed in the pads to the rotor. Avid brakes are known to have some vibration and sound issues and there are a few things you can try. If you doubt the shop did a good job setting up the bike, maybe have a friend who is a good wrench come over, pick up a sixer of your favorite beverage and check on / tune up things?
    NW MTB Addict

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yeah, I've been doing some research and have found a lot of complaints about the avids. Also heard a lot of people saying they need to break in and what not so I'm just gonna ride it for a while and see how it goes. This was my second ride on it, and I know the front wheel coming loose doesn't have to do with the brakes, I was saying that that is the reason why I felt that possibly my bike shop didn't set it up properly... Don't really see why else the wheel would come loose after only about two hours of ride time. Thank you

mtbr member
    You may want to look at my post in the thread related to the Juicy 3 situation I experience and which was resolved by an upgrade (Juicy 3.5) covered under warranty:

avid juicy 5 brake

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Alright cool man. Any idea what exactly this "3.5 upgrade" consists of. Hopefully my bike shop will be helpful. Very doubtful though

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnightridr32
    Alright cool man. Any idea what exactly this "3.5 upgrade" consists of. Hopefully my bike shop will be helpful. Very doubtful though
    I have no idea if the upgrade included revisions to the hardware or just properly machined hardware which was the genesis of the problem. If you like, you can call Sunshine Bike in Fairfax, CA and as for Erik; he is the expert wrench that worked on my bike and he will know all about the repair.

Very unsure why your bike shop will not be helpful! Is the bike still in warranty???

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    yeah its under warranty. only about 3 days old. Im just afraid the bike shop will make up excuses like they need to break in, or it is normal, or they dont notice it when they ride it....you know, the same way most dealerships are. im just hoping i get lucky and have some helpful people there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnightridr32
    yeah its under warranty. only about 3 days old. Im just afraid the bike shop will make up excuses like they need to break in, or it is normal, or they dont notice it when they ride it....you know, the same way most dealerships are. im just hoping i get lucky and have some helpful people there.
    Understood. I would expect that the shop will make the effort to properly adjust the brakes however you now have a bit of ammo and precedence that Avid has admitted to my shop that there has been a problem with machining Juicy 3 parts and there is an upgrade.

Another option (if you paid with a CC) is to file a complaint but I would use this as only a last resort and courteously work with the shop (and perhaps write to Avid yourself).

BTW, I've got ~200 miles riding on the upgrade and the new brakes are working perfectly so there is hope...don't get discouraged!

Let us know what transpires.