mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Juicy 3's Feel a Little Weak

My bike has Avid Juicy 3 brakes, and they seem a little weak. It's really only the front one that is a problem because the back one just locks the wheel if I squeeze it to hard. Using the front brake, I have to squeeze really hard to get the back wheel to lift off the ground slightly. A lot harder than I would with rim brakes, and hard enough that it feels like I am going to break something. Do I need to bleed the lines? (I really don't want to bleed the lines! I'll probably take it to the LBS if it needs to be done.) Will that even help? The lever doesn't feel too spongy, though there is some sponge to it, and I don't know how spongy it should be.

Meh.
    How many miles have you put on the brakes? The pads may just need to bed in.

The pads may be contaminated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    How many miles have you put on the brakes? The pads may just need to bed in.

The pads may be contaminated.
    Not that many miles (maybe 50, and the bike is a year old). I think the pads are broken in, though, because they don't make noise any more. As far as I can remember, the power has always been about the same.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'd say the pads are contaminated. If that doesn't do it, put a larger rotor on it. I've got the 3's and the power definatly leaves something to be desired. I had a 203 laying around and it helped. Still not as powerful as my bb7's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I thought about upgrading the rotor, but they are so expensive! I can get a whole new Juicy 3 system for a little more than the price of a rotor!

I think I'll take it to the LBS and have them see if the system needs to be bled.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by m85476585
    Not that many miles (maybe 50, and the bike is a year old). I think the pads are broken in, though, because they don't make noise any more. As far as I can remember, the power has always been about the same.
    If you are a bigger rider, they may not be powerful enough. The 203 rotor will help, as it did for me, but your fork may not be able to handle the additional stress. You will also need another adapter, so add that additional cost as well.

Best Bet:
    Bring it into your LBS for them to judge how spongy the lever feels. They will know right away if the pads are contaminated or if the system needs to be bled. Go from there. It's better than throwing parts at the problem shotgun-style and it may save you money in the long run! Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm not a big rider at all--I only weigh 140lbs.

I took it into the LBS, and they told me that the handle feel was normal, and that there were not a lot of adjustments they could do (I knew that the Juicy 3's were not very adjustable). They did scuff the pads and the rotors, though, and that seems to have improved stopping power quite a bit, though I don't know how long it will last. I have not had a lot of time to ride yet--I just tested it in the parking lot. While I had it in, they also did some other stuff I didn't know it needed, like tightening the headset a bit and truing one of the wheels.