mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Juicy 3's + 180mm rotors?

My mate has Juicy 3's on his Giant Trance 2007 with 160mm rotors.
    He weighs about 190lb with kit.
    I tried the bike and those brakes are not impressive at all, compared to my Juicy 5's with 180mm rotors and Goodridge hoses...
    Is it possible to get a new caliper mounting and use 180mm rotors for the 3's?
    Couldn't get info on SRAM site...
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

Weekend Warrior
    My 07 Trance 1 came with Juicy 5s on 160mm rotor front and back. I upgraded to 185mm on the front, and just bought a new mount from chainreaction.com. Actually, I got the G2 185mm rotor & mount for the same price as my lbs could do on a 160mm rotor.

Your mate should register on MTBR instead of getting you to post everytime he has a problem.
    Last edited by kbryant; 02-17-2007 at 04:08 PM.

Freshly Fujified

Yes you can, but....

Yes, it is possible, You can buy an Avid 8" adaptor (should be compatible with any CPS type brake caliper) and use 8" rotors, as it will physically fit. Problem is, Juicy 3's are OEM only, and if you look at the specs available on the Avid web site, it is very clear that the J3 is for XC use only. This means the bike has an XC fork, and is not suitable, nor designed for, for 8" rotors.

Again, you can do it, it's just not advisable as it will void the warranty on the fork (and possibly the brakes) and you run the risk of breakage of the mounts on the fork as they are not made to withstand the forces generated by the additional stopping power of the 8" rotors.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Weekend Warrior

Meh.
    Avid does not make a 180mm rotor. They do make a 185mm. And you can use a front adapter from any of the Avid brakes or Hayes brakes. Just make sure that you use the appropriate adapter for the dropouts (QR or 20mm) and mount type (post mount or international standard).

Try allowing the brakes some time to bed in. The performance will improve.

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    Yes, it is possible, You can buy an Avid 8" adaptor (should be compatible with any CPS type brake caliper) and use 8" rotors, as it will physically fit. Problem is, Juicy 3's are OEM only, and if you look at the specs available on the Avid web site, it is very clear that the J3 is for XC use only. This means the bike has an XC fork, and is not suitable, nor designed for, for 8" rotors.

Again, you can do it, it's just not advisable as it will void the warranty on the fork (and possibly the brakes) and you run the risk of breakage of the mounts on the fork as they are not made to withstand the forces generated by the additional stopping power of the 8" rotors.

Bob
    He wants 7" rotors not 8", 8" would be crazy on a Trance. A 7" on the front however is a great upgrade for a solid trail bike like the Trance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Good job! Rockshox Recon

"This means the bike has an XC fork, and is not suitable, nor designed for, for 8" rotors.

Again, you can do it, it's just not advisable as it will void the warranty on the fork (and possibly the brakes) and you run the risk of breakage of the mounts on the fork as they are not made to withstand the forces generated by the additional stopping power of the 8" rotors."

185mm rotors on a Rockshox Recon should not pose any problems.
    Thanks for all the advice!
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

Freshly Fujified

My bad

[QUOTE=goatman
    Again, you can do it, it's just not advisable as it will void the warranty on the fork (and possibly the brakes) and you run the risk of breakage of the mounts on the fork as they are not made to withstand the forces generated by the additional stopping power of the 8" rotors."

185mm rotors on a Rockshox Recon should not pose any problems.
    Thanks for all the advice![/QUOTE]

I wasn't thinking. 185mm is 7 inches, not 8, and the Recon has 32mm stanchions. You should be fine.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery