mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Juicy 3 vs Juicy 7 : How big is the difference ?

This is for a 29er MTB
    Avid Juicy 3 with 185mm rotors vs Juicy 7 with 160 mm rotors; how big is the difference ?
    Ie., is it worth getting the juicy 7s over the juicy 3s ?\

I weigh 200 lbs

Rotors are rotors, so not sure if you're trying to include that in the comparo or not. Juicy 3 doesn't have the split clamp mount, no pad contact point adjust, no reach adjust.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008
    I haven't really had a ton of experience with them, but I have ridden both and I'd say that the difference is huge. I really didn't like the Juicy 3's. They felt like they had no modulation, either full on or off, and they just didn't really seem to have much stopping power. I'm sure it was enough, but I just could never get comfortable enough to really open it up riding with them. The Sevens on the other hand had great modulation and tons of stopping power.

I'd definitely go with the Sevens if you could... a nice pair of brakes on your ride feels SO nice and really gives you more confidence to really fly knowing you can shut it down in an instant if you have to.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The only 3's Ive ridden just felt like they needed a good bleed, but it was a rental bike, so Im not sure, but I think they would be fine...Ive had some 5's that worked perfectly, and now I have the Carbons (which is just a 7 with a cool looking lever). I love my carbon/7's (even with a 160mm rotor) and I weigh 200+....

Id go with 5's or 7's, but honestly I think the pad adjustment (red dial on levers of the 7's) is 100% WORTHLESS. Ive tried it on my bike, and a few friends have tried it, and it really isnt a noticeable difference. The last 5's I had were as sweet feeling as my current ones....

Just find some end of year or last years models and you can get a sweet deal online...

BKB
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I think the red dial adjusts the amount of throw on th brake handles

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    don't waste $ on the 3s, buy the 7s or stick with bb7s... juicy 3s are mediocre honestly - lack adjustment beyond the lever reach and tend to not feel as good.
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Your not all mountain unless your runnin' crushed dew cans..
    '12 Scalpel 29er Carbon 1
    '13 SuperSix EVO Red Racing

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    So, for $75, it would be worth it to go from the 185mm rotor Juicy 3 to 160mm juicy 7 ($75 in total for front and back)?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    price is the main difference, properly bled the adjustments don't make that much difference IMPO anyway

Quote Originally Posted by wearetheborg
    So, for $75, it would be worth it to go from the 185mm rotor Juicy 3 to 160mm juicy 7 ($75 in total for front and back)?
    Why not get the 7s in 185s? Just can't find a good price? (I'm assuming you know that the calipers work with any size rotor with the appropriate adapter); I bet you could get the 7s in 185 cheaper than you could upgrade to 185s even selling the 160s. Rotor size has benefits separately from the extra features between the two models...
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Why not get the 7s in 185s? Just can't find a good price? (I'm assuming you know that the calipers work with any size rotor with the appropriate adapter); I bet you could get the 7s in 185 cheaper than you could upgrade to 185s even selling the 160s. Rotor size has benefits separately from the extra features between the two models...
    Full story:
    I'm actually considering between two bikes, bike #1 has juicy 3 185mm (Tora 318 suspension), bike #2 has Juicy 7 160mm (Reba 29 SL), and I think a marginally better drivetrain.
    Price diff between the bikes is $150

Earlier I was leaning towards #1 as I dont mind the extra weight of the Tora, thinking that juicy 3->7 improvement was marginal.
    Last edited by wearetheborg; 10-09-2008 at 11:31 PM.

Full story:
    I'm actually considering between two bikes, bike #1 has juicy 3 185mm (Tora 318 suspension), bike #2 has Juicy 7 160mm (Reba 29 SL), and I think a marginally better drivetrain.
    Price diff between the bikes is $150

Earlier I was leaning towards #1 as I dont mind the extra weight of the Tora, thinking that juicy 3->7 improvement was marginal.

And that one is a 26" wheel and the other a 29" wheel isn't the deciding factor? Hard to compare two dissimilar bikes by the brakes...or the forks...
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    And that one is a 26" wheel and the other a 29" wheel isn't the deciding factor? Hard to compare two dissimilar bikes by the brakes...or the forks...
    Both are 29ers

Both are 29ers
    Ok, you didn't specify the 318 29er model.....
    suum quique