mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Juicy 3 assistance please

Hi, mtb noob here, hoping for some assistance with a brake related problem.

Long story short grease got on my rotor/pads. Lost braking power.

Degreased the heck out of everything. Very very minor improvement. Huge noise from both ends.

Friend suggested air in the lines, but I really didn't think that would be likely - both the front and the back went bad at exactly the same time.

Bike shop said that the pads might be 'contaminated' and suggested that I change them.

Changed the fronts, a small amount of fluid leaked out during the process.

Reassembled, and there is definitely an improvement, but nowhere near what it was like when I first got the bike (second hand).

Any ideas? Pics attached just in case there is something very obvious
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Juicy 3 assistance please-p1020550.jpg  

Juicy 3 assistance please-p1020549.jpg  

Juicy 3 assistance please-p1020548.jpg  

mtbr member
    .snip. double post
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    No brake fluid should leak out when you change pads.

Did you degrease/clean the rotors before installing the new brake pads. Wipe
    with simple green and a rag. Then wipe rotor with iso alcohol and a clean rag.

If you have air in the system you can pull the lever to the bars and no braking occurs. If you "pump" the lever the brakes start to work. If you have air in the sytem then they will need a "bleed". If the bike is second hand it might be worth bleeding the brakes anyway. Brake fluid doesn't last for ever. If you haven't done anything but change the pads you shouldn't have air in the system

You need to "bed" in new pads before they will work to there full potential. It can take 10 to 20 stops before they work. If you don't know how to bed in new brakes google how to.

eg 3) Ensure new organic brake pads are properly bed into new rotors before riding. See procedure excerpt from the Avid User Manuals.
    PAD BED-IN
    To safely achieve optimal results, remain seated on the bike during the entire bed-in procedure. Accelerate the bike to a
    moderate speed, then firmly apply the brakes until you are at walking speed. Repeat approximately twenty times. Next,
    accelerate the bike to a faster speed. Then very firmly and suddenly apply the brakes until you are at walking speed. Repeat
    approximately ten times.
    Important: do not lock up the wheels at any point during the bed-in procedure. Allow the brakes to cool prior to any
    additional riding.

The noise after cleaning. The noise is because the brakes need to be beded in again or the pads are still contaminated.
    Last edited by mitzikatzi; 01-03-2012 at 11:32 AM.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    This is a response I got from SRAM the other day, complaining about the same thing. Weird thing for my situation is the brakes have been silent for almost 2 years, and close to 3000 miles on the bike. This just started last year after I did a 100 mile MTB race. I have swapped pads, etc, all with no luck.

The noise is probably caused by 1 of the following things:
    1. There is some sort of contamination on your pads or rotor. When replacing pads/rotor to combat noise, it's best to replace both simultaneously, so any contamination on your old rotor doesn't transfer to your new pads. Use organic pads, as they tend to generate less vibration, and then follow our bed in procedure on our website (go to page 56 of our technical manual: http://www.sram.com/sites/default/fi...lish_final.pdf )

2. A piston may be jamming in the caliper, which would bend the rotor and cause vibration. Make sure both pistons are moving, and if one is stuck, hold the moving piston in place with a wrench while squeezing the lever. Once the stuck piston starts moving again, lubricate it with DOT fluid and push it back into the caliper. You may have to repeat a few times.

Thanks,