mtbr member

Jenson USA OE XT Brakes

I asked Jenson USA if the OE XT brakes they are offering are identical to be non-0E models. They told me they were and that the only difference was that it was missing retail packaging. just received my order and that appears to be incorrect. I should have known by just looking at the picture that the calipers are different. The ones I received with the OE model do not have the heat sink. Any other differences? Is this worth $30 difference?

turtles make me hot
    Are there pads in them?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    As far as I know the heatsink you are referring to are part of the ice tech brake pads. Just order some.

Sent using my fat thumbs!

mtbr member
    I looked up Ice Tech brake pads and now see that that is what the difference is. Thanks. Hopefully that is all.

turtles make me hot
    That should be it.
    I like turtles

Plays with tools
    Yeah, gray market product!

mtbr member
    Yup, you were expecting different PADS - the brakes are the same.

There are 4 different Shimano pads for those brakes - resin, resin w fins, metal, and metal w fins.

Personally I would not worry about the fact that you dont have the finned version for now - use em - and if you find you are experiencing brake fade after a super long steep descent then you have the comfort of knowing you can always get the finned pads to help dissipate the heat that little bit extra.

My bet is if you have not been experiencing fading issues with your current brakes you are not gonna notice the benefit of the fins on these ones.

SLR
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Yup, you were expecting different PADS - the brakes are the same.

There are 4 different Shimano pads for those brakes - resin, resin w fins, metal, and metal w fins.

Personally I would not worry about the fact that you dont have the finned version for now - use em - and if you find you are experiencing brake fade after a super long steep descent then you have the comfort of knowing you can always get the finned pads to help dissipate the heat that little bit extra.

My bet is if you have not been experiencing fading issues with your current brakes you are not gonna notice the benefit of the fins on these ones.
    +1

mtbr member
    THANKS guys, I'm happy with that. Help save a little money up front without sacrificing too much.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    FWIW I recently purchased the same brakes from Blueskycycling for $109 and they did come with ice tech pads

mtbr member
    The Jenson ones marked OE don't come with the ice-tech pads, as several have mentioned. The normal XTs from Jenson (not the OE stuff) seem to be ice-tech. When I ordered mine, they didn't have the rear OE in stock, so I ordered the normal XT for the rear and the OE for the front. I'm probably going to switch the pads around when I install the brakes. Other than the pads, the calipers and levers look identical.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dnlwthrn View Post
    The Jenson ones marked OE don't come with the ice-tech pads, as several have mentioned. The normal XTs from Jenson (not the OE stuff) seem to be ice-tech. When I ordered mine, they didn't have the rear OE in stock, so I ordered the normal XT for the rear and the OE for the front. I'm probably going to switch the pads around when I install the brakes. Other than the pads, the calipers and levers look identical.
    I did the same, one other thing the OE version is missing is an olive/hose barb so if you need to change the hose length you will need to buy that an olive/barb set.

mtbr member
    So I installed the brakes last night (OE front, standard rear) and swapped the ice tech pads to the front brake.

Kind of a tangent, but I was surprised to see that the rear didn't come with the IS adapter installed... Every Shimano rear brake I've purchased in the past has come with the adapter. Thankfully I had an extra one sitting on the shelf, but I was still surprised. I double checked Jenson's website this morning, and while the photo doesn't show the adapter, the description states "International standard/Post mount."

mtbr member
    So I installed the brakes last night (OE front, standard rear) and swapped the ice tech pads to the front brake.

Kind of a tangent, but I was surprised to see that the rear didn't come with the IS adapter installed... Every Shimano rear brake I've purchased in the past has come with the adapter. Thankfully I had an extra one sitting on the shelf, but I was still surprised. I double checked Jenson's website this morning, and while the photo doesn't show the adapter, the description states "International standard/Post mount."
    Interesting, I have never received any brake (Shimano or otherwise) with an included adaptor.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Can anyone confirm for me which flavor pad you got with your Jenson XT purchase? Metal or resin? I know they are non-ice tech, but I'd like to buy a set with metal pads out the door instead of having to buy them down the road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Interesting, I have never received any brake (Shimano or otherwise) with an included adaptor.
    I haven't gotten new brakes in a few years, but my last set (also from Jenson) were billed as 74mm PM front, 51mm IS rear. When they arrived, the rear was actually a post mount with the PM/IS adapter on it. I'm guessing that since more bikes are using post mount in the rear Shimano has stopped including the IS adapter with rear brakes.

mtbr member
    I haven't gotten new brakes in a few years, but my last set (also from Jenson) were billed as 74mm PM front, 51mm IS rear. When they arrived, the rear was actually a post mount with the PM/IS adapter on it. I'm guessing that since more bikes are using post mount in the rear Shimano has stopped including the IS adapter with rear brakes.
    hmmm, was that other set that you acquired a oe/take-off from another bike perhaps?