mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Jagwire Ripcord and BB7

Just replaced the stock cables and BB5 brakes on our bikes (fiance and I each have a Trek HT) and installed BB7s with G2 rotors and Jagwire Ripcord cables. Ran the rear brake housing straight from lever to caliper and am blown away by the difference!

BB7+Jagire Ripcord is an absolute steal for the price. Excellent power and modulation at a budget price!

Blue Pig
    Good job. now watch it for squirrels... they are attracted to new components...
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

Expert Crasher
    Jagwire makes some nice housing. The color selection is a bonus too.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelly_NH
    Just replaced the stock cables and BB5 brakes on our bikes (fiance and I each have a Trek HT) and installed BB7s with G2 rotors and Jagwire Ripcord cables. Ran the rear brake housing straight from lever to caliper and am blown away by the difference!

BB7+Jagire Ripcord is an absolute steal for the price. Excellent power and modulation at a budget price!
    Although the benefit of the BB7's is that they do work with any old housing/cable combo - there is a big performance benefit and feel with the Ripcord kits.

BB

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Which end cap do/did you use on the foot of the Ripcord cable housing when inserting into the BB7s, the POP or one of the nosed end caps?? I am currently installing them myself and feel like the POP is not ideal but am hesitant to use the nosed end cap b/c Jagwire seems to love the POPs... I just feel like the POP doesn't work right with the BB7s... Any advice would be appreciated.... Thanks

What's a POP? I've used a variety of ferrules, just don't know what you're referring to with that acronym.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Bikinfool... thanks for the quick reply... Jagwires "POP" end cap stands for "point of power"... They comes in the accessory pack that Jagwire ships with the Ripcord along with 2 extra nosed ferrules... It seems like they really stress using the POP ferrule for V-brakes, but I was wondering if the nosed ferrules work better/are more appropriate for BB7s specifically because I feel like the POPs do not fit properly.... Hope that helps with my question and thanks again...

I am now pretty sure the nosed ferrule is the way to go, but was looking for someone else's opinion....

Oh those things. I used them where they fit, didn't where they didn't. Avid also has some specific ferrules, too. I don't think it makes a huge difference, though.

PS Forgot to ask, you using a full run of housing, or interrupted? I'd recommend the full run...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I ran full, uninterrupted housing... I just switched out the "POP cap" for nosed end caps and it made a difference on my cable rub problem... Thanks for the input...

As for the BB7 plus Jagwire Ripcord combo.... EXCELLENT!!! Couldn't be happier and everything was easy to install by myself with a few tools (Dremel rotary, torque wrench, and some zip ties)

g3h6o3
    I use BB7 and Jagwire L3 and it's a perfect combo too! Bought in 25M bulk, it's cheap as hell.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    May 2010

nosed ferrules (end caps?) in Jagwire kit

I just installed this same setup last night: BB7's + G2 rotors (with Centerlock adapters) + SpeedDial 7 levers + Jagwire Ripcord kit. So far everything seems to be working great, but I am lost about how to install the nosed ferrules that are included in the Ripcord kit. Here's the issue...

My bike has open cable loops on the frame and the previous cable set had some plastic end caps that slid into the loops to hold the housing ends (the middle section of cable is exposed). They have a lip on them that keeps them from sliding through the loop on the frame, effectively making a cable stop. They look a lot like this:

Do those have to come off for the nosed ferrules to slide in their place? I tried this but the nosed ferrules will not stay put. They seem a little too narrow and wiggle around too much inside the frame loop. Turning the handlebars made them pop right out. Also, because they don't have a lip, they just slide right through.

Did I do it wrong? Is the nosed ferrule meant to be installed along with the existing plastic stops (seems odd)?

It's not necessary to get it working since I already have the kit installed with the wire exposed in the middle, but I would like to go back and install the weather shielding if possible.

Edit:

These are the instructions I followed. http://www.jagwireusa.com/images/upl...Brake_2009.pdf

Step #5 only says to use the nosed end caps "between cable stops," but I'm not sure how to interpret that. Is the frame itself the "cable stop," or is that a separate piece that slides into the frame? It seems odd that it would be another piece, and if it is, they should have included it in the kit.
    Last edited by static_mass; 07-07-2010 at 01:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I believe that those are spacers so that they can use the same frame loop for cable or hydraulic lines. Without them the cables don't appear to fit correctly.