my body breaks the falls

J7 centering post busted off - am I hosed?

Somehow this little centering post on the caliper of my rear J7 snapped off. When I went to replace the pads tonight it just fell out when I pulled out the pads. Is it necessary? I'd really rather ride the BLT tomorrow, but not if my brakes aren't safe. Seems a little unnecessary to me - the pads still go in okay and appear to be centered since they also have the spring to keep them fairly centered. Am I taking a risk riding it this way?

BTW: On the busted centering post it appears to be just a little plastic sleeve that holds it in place. I'm surprised these don't just melt off.
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

Meh.
    Composites can be very resistant to heat.

Well, you've got two brakes... but I would get around to replacing that piston. It's staying centered because the pad backing fits into the "slot" in the caliper. Without the post, the pad may not retract properly. The pad may rattle around. As the pad wears, there will be less overlap between the pad backing and the caliper, and it may eventually fall out.

my body breaks the falls
    Good point - it's probably not your run-o-the-mill plastic that melts easily.

Thanks for the input. I guess this is the justification I needed for a new set of brakes. Why not? I've replaced/upgraded everything else
    www.noonmeasureww.org

Meh.
    A caliper rebuild kit with the pistons is very inexpensive. If the brakes are less than 2 years old, Avid may even warranty them.

my body breaks the falls
    Probably a better idea for my wallet. I think they're 2006's, but on a bike purchased last December. Still worth looking into. Thanks so much for the advice!
    www.noonmeasureww.org

my body breaks the falls
    Well that was a bit of a scare. I decided to ride it as is. After a 15 mile ride with lots of up and down to bed the pads properly the final descent is about 2 miles at a pretty steep drop. As I was about 1/8 of a mile from the bottom the rear brake was gone. As in the pad fell out completely. Fortunately I had scrubbed enough speed that I didn't need it in order to hit the turn at the bottom - I just had to do it with a little more style than usual
    I guess in addition to centering the pad it really does help keep it in place on rough terrain. This drop is a really rutted fire road.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by twindaddy
    Well that was a bit of a scare. I decided to ride it as is. After a 15 mile ride with lots of up and down to bed the pads properly the final descent is about 2 miles at a pretty steep drop. As I was about 1/8 of a mile from the bottom the rear brake was gone. As in the pad fell out completely. Fortunately I had scrubbed enough speed that I didn't need it in order to hit the turn at the bottom - I just had to do it with a little more style than usual
    I guess in addition to centering the pad it really does help keep it in place on rough terrain. This drop is a really rutted fire road.
    As you found out, it is not a centering post. It is a retaining peg.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

ride hard take risks
    Nice research project you did there TD.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

my body breaks the falls
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Nice research project you did there TD.
    Just wait 'til I start building airplanes in my garage! Who wants to fly to Vegas? Don't worry... those extra parts aren't really needed.
    www.noonmeasureww.org