mtbr member

...it's a drag...

...So I brought my bikes in from the cold (-15f) for a much needed thaw. My bike has BB7's and the GF's bike has BB5's...prior to bringing them in the front brakes on both bikes worked fine...after an overnight thaw, but before the bikes went outside, I noticed drag on my front BB7. Midway through the first ride I noticed the front BB5 dragging on the GF's bike as well...So, I'm thinking water I can't see in the caliper? They sat and got a good thaw...I would think they were in more than long enough to completely dry...

Any thoughts?
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Cold causes things to contract. Maybe when you brought them into the house and they warmed up, everything expanded a bit. If you adjust them in the house where it's already warm I would think that would take care of the problem. Just my guess. (And who rides in -15f temps anyways! )
    "When God made me he must not have been paying much attention because I came out wrong...just plain wrong!"
    South Park

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgremlin
    Cold causes things to contract. Maybe when you brought them into the house and they warmed up, everything expanded a bit. If you adjust them in the house where it's already warm I would think that would take care of the problem. Just my guess. (And who rides in -15f temps anyways! )
    I second the possibility of different rates of expansion and contraction of materials (fork, rotor, etc.). Of course, to fix the BB7, you should be able to just turn the knobs a couple of times to reposition the pads.

mtbr member
    ...and that's what I did, but she has gone through plenty of freeze-thaw cycles this winter...She lives outside and it has been COLD here (neighborhood of -15 to -10f for the last two weeks) and even with the occasional warm-up in a hanger at work, no problems until this one...I dunno...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

Biking Like Crazy!
    You opened the pad adustment and are still getting drag?...could the problem
    possibly be in the hubs being alittle dry or rusty?

edit: with all the expansion and contraction that "she" goes through, contaminates could be getting into the hub area.
    Remove the caliper (or open fully) and see if the hubs spin freely. Just to eliminate that possiblity!
    Last edited by blcman; 01-01-2011 at 10:41 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0