mtbr member

New question here. Issues w. XX finish?

Does anyone have issues w. finish of XX brakes? - My friend own a pair of XX brakes and the paint is coming off around the slot for the brake pads. He only washes his bike w. a hose, no high pressure washer. It makes the otherwise ultra-bling-brakes looks pretty cheap by comparison to eg. Shimano brakes of 2012 standard. - Is this a "known" SRAM issue?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Odnis View Post
    Does anyone have issues w. finish of XX brakes? - My friend own a pair of XX brakes and the paint is coming off around the slot for the brake pads. He only washes his bike w. a hose, no high pressure washer. It makes the otherwise ultra-bling-brakes looks pretty cheap by comparison to eg. Shimano brakes of 2012 standard. - Is this a "known" SRAM issue?
    Mine have lost some paint on the calipers, mainly on the edges (where it is likely that the paint is thinner)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjack View Post
    Mine have lost some paint on the calipers, mainly on the edges (where it is likely that the paint is thinner)
    Thanks! Your pics show exactly what's happening to my friends calipers (so he's not the only one in the universe with this issue). Considering the very steep price of this specific component I think it's sub par w. eg. similar products from you-know-who-NO. Personally, I think I'll go for alternative products, next time I buy brakes. It's a bit odd, because I really like both performance and finish on Avid Elixir CRs which comes at a much lower pricepoint, so initially I thought that XX had to be even better ...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I ride the '12 XX's with no issue with the paint chipping/scratching off. Performance has been great as well!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    you might have brake fluid leaking out of the caliper. Dot fluid will chew through paint in no time. I would check and see if you can see any dot residue on the caliper.

mtbr member
    If the brakes are pre 2012 the paint flaking off is due to heat.

The 2009-2011 calipers are magnesium which can't handle a lot of heat well, the paint has flaked due to excess heat.

The 2012 brakes have aluminium calipers to solve the issue. It also means you can run sintered pads in the 2012 xx brakes which your not suposed to do on 2009-2011.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster View Post
    If the brakes are pre 2012 the paint flaking off is due to heat.

The 2009-2011 calipers are magnesium which can't handle a lot of heat well, the paint has flaked due to excess heat.

The 2012 brakes have aluminium calipers to solve the issue. It also means you can run sintered pads in the 2012 xx brakes which your not suposed to do on 2009-2011.
    This is definitely the precise explanation of the problem on my friends 2009/2010 XX brakes. His brakes have been exposed to both a lot of brake heat AND have been running w. sintered brake pads. We had no idea that sintered pads was a No-no. Noone in Denmark knows this ...