mtbr member

Issue Bleeding Elixir CR brakes

I noticed even with the pad contact adjusted, the lever pulled closer to the handlebar for the rear brake than the front brake. So I decided to bleed the rear brake.

I followed the instructions to bleed the Elixirs. When I get to the part where I snap the lever back and forth while creating vacuum with the piston syringe, I keep getting small air bubbles moving into the piston syringe. I continued to snap the lever and create vacuum with the syringe for a few minutes and continued to get small bubbles.

Is that normal while bleeding the Elixir CR?

Brakes are less than 2 years old so I'm wondering if SRAM would warranty them

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    I noticed even with the pad contact adjusted, the lever pulled closer to the handlebar for the rear brake than the front brake. So I decided to bleed the rear brake.

I followed the instructions to bleed the Elixirs. When I get to the part where I snap the lever back and forth while creating vacuum with the piston syringe, I keep getting small air bubbles moving into the piston syringe. I continued to snap the lever and create vacuum with the syringe for a few minutes and continued to get small bubbles.

Is that normal while bleeding the Elixir CR?

Brakes are less than 2 years old so I'm wondering if SRAM would warranty them
    Tiny bubbles are normal for DOT 5.1 fluid. You'll never get them all out.

Did you spend some time de-gassing the syringe before you pushed the fluid in from the rear caliper? I usually spend a few extra minutes obsessing over removing the bubbles before I push the fluid in.

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    When you are snapping the lever, you should be pressurizing the system by pushing in on the syringe. Then you pull out to create a vacuum and draw out the big bubbles. You will not get all the bubbles out (unless you keep doing this over and over and over, but even then you might still get a tiny amount of miniscule bubbles drawn out). I usually do this repeatedly for about 5 times or until I am satisfied that the bubbles that are coming out are no longer large bubbles.

mtbr member
    I am using Valvoline synthetic brake fluid. Yes I did de-gas the syringes before attaching them to the bleed port.

The reason why the lever was pulling close to the handlebar was because the pads were so worn they were almost down to the metal. I put new pads and the brake feels good now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Make sure you are using the correct brake fluid

Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    I am using Valvoline synthetic brake fluid. Yes I did de-gas the syringes before attaching them to the bleed port.

The reason why the lever was pulling close to the handlebar was because the pads were so worn they were almost down to the metal. I put new pads and the brake feels good now.
    Avid brakes use DOT 5.1 brake fluid. I went to Valvoline's site, and I don't believe they make DOT 5.1 fluid. Using the wrong fluid can damage seals and hoses, and if they get damaged, they can allow air to get into the system.
    Brake Fluid | Find Quality Brake Flush & Brake Fluids at Valvoline

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kendrab View Post
    Avid brakes use DOT 5.1 brake fluid. I went to Valvoline's site, and I don't believe they make DOT 5.1 fluid. Using the wrong fluid can damage seals and hoses, and if they get damaged, they can allow air to get into the system.
    Brake Fluid | Find Quality Brake Flush & Brake Fluids at Valvoline
    Dot 3 and 4 are compatible with 5.1.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uly View Post
    When you are snapping the lever, you should be pressurizing the system by pushing in on the syringe. Then you pull out to create a vacuum and draw out the big bubbles. You will not get all the bubbles out (unless you keep doing this over and over and over, but even then you might still get a tiny amount of miniscule bubbles drawn out). I usually do this repeatedly for about 5 times or until I am satisfied that the bubbles that are coming out are no longer large bubbles.
    ^ I re-read your OP. As Uly has pointed out, you should not be snapping the levers while you are pulling a vacuum.

I have no experience with DOT 3 & 4 fluids, but I have been using Motul 5.1 as an alternative to the overpriced Avid 5.1 with good results.