Thread: IS2000 docs

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

IS2000 docs

all,

At the risk of having missed something whilst googling, does anyone know of a good source of documentation for the IS2000 disc brake dimensions and tolerances?

- thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_f
    all,

At the risk of having missed something whilst googling, does anyone know of a good source of documentation for the IS2000 disc brake dimensions and tolerances?

- thanks
    Yup here you go....

http://www.magura.com/english/frameset/default.htm

Scroll down to the I/S pdf files.
    Pat T.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Does Magura own the standard?

Thanks for the link, Pat -- looking at their website, there's a document titled "mounting dimensions IS2000 on forks and frames" and one titled "dito, with MAGURA specific dimensions".

The first one, as labelled, covers fork and frame dimensions in metric units with tolerances.

The second one also includes hub dimensions in metric units, but has no tolerances specified. Being labelled magura specific, I gather the intent is to let manufacturers know where clearance should be left for calipers, mounting screws, etc.

From one of the posts below, Chris King would seem to be working to slightly different specs than the ones listed in Magura's document. Are we looking at two interpretations of some other standard document?

The reason I'm asking is that I also have a fork/hub/caliper combination where something's gotta give. To me, it would make sense to figure out what needs machining before facing the heck out of my fork. I'm telling myself that if I change hubs, calipers etc. later, I may be sorry I went that route. Somewhere I read that it's like being a Dentist-- it's tough to put the material back on.
    Last edited by dave_f; 03-16-2004 at 03:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

New question here.

OK, so here is what I've pulled out of the message threads here and the docs posted on the mfgr. websites. The dimensions of interest would be dropout to disc flange on hub, and dropout to mounting tab on the fork, for the front end. At the back, the tabs and dropout are in the same plane. My results are in the attached image, I was too lazy to try and format an HTML table.

Notes:

-All dimensions in mm (the eMail from King was posted with inch units which I converted)
    -The Dropout->tab for Hayes is in parentheses because I'm not sure I'm reading the drawing correctly.
    -The Dropout->tab for Magura is in parenthesis because this is what you get when both front and back calipers are the same, and you use the 1mm spacers they include for the back. They don't have this dimension in their drawings.

The Chris King mail mentions ISO, but a search of www.iso.org using keywords like "bicycle" didn't turn up anything on disc brakes.

So, looking at the above, are these guys working to the same spec? If so, where is it? Anyone know what the fork guys say (haven't found any specs posted by them yet)?

My initial impression is that adding up tolerances could account for perhaps +/- 0.8mm max up front, anything over that is either not compatible or out of spec (I get to say that because I'm not a mechanical engineer and don't know what the heck I'm talking about ).

BTW, I found this whilst looking for IS2000 gear:Cool Accessory Looks like the downhill fraction should like it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_f
    Thanks for the link, Pat -- looking at their website, there's a document titled "mounting dimensions IS2000 on forks and frames" and one titled "dito, with MAGURA specific dimensions".

The first one, as labelled, covers fork and frame dimensions in metric units with tolerances.

The second one also includes hub dimensions in metric units, but has no tolerances specified. Being labelled magura specific, I gather the intent is to let manufacturers know where clearance should be left for calipers, mounting screws, etc.

From one of the posts below, Chris King would seem to be working to slightly different specs than the ones listed in Magura's document. Are we looking at two interpretations of some other standard document?

The reason I'm asking is that I also have a fork/hub/caliper combination where something's gotta give. To me, it would make sense to figure out what needs machining before facing the heck out of my fork. I'm telling myself that if I change hubs, calipers etc. later, I may be sorry I went that route. Somewhere I read that it's like being a Dentist-- it's tough to put the material back on.
    Well I am sure that Chris King is working to much tighter tolerances than +/- .25, being that all of their parts are CNC'd they are probably closer to .025 (at least I would hope so) My 5 axis machine will nail .0001 tolerances without breaking a sweat. Almost all of the brake manufacuterer's are very close to the same tolerances, the frame and fork guys however seem to differ. Rear tabs seem to be the worst, Jim C's bullit was pretty bad. But other frame just line right up.... it seems to change from one frame to the next. On my Jr T I have 2 .02mm shims on the lower tab and everthing is fine, some forks require quite a bit of facing. Anyways, you should be fine facing your fork tabs, if you have to you can come back and put in a 1mm shim and you shouldn't have any problems. BTW all the Magura stuff is at +/- .1 just like Hayes and Avid ) (though it all should be +/- .03 just like the aircraft industry)
    Pat T.

29 some of the time...
    Reviving this one...

Any details on the 20mm thru axle IS 2000 spacing??

I have been scouring around and have found nothing helpful yet. Links and info appreciated.

FWIW I measured my TA dimension hub to be 15mm from dropout to disc mounting face.