The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009

New question here. Intermittant Brake Squeal/Vibration

I already went through the Avid Elixir rear brake issues on my Enduro, and had it mostly silent with "perfect" centering of the caliper, but recently I badly bent the rear rotor, prompting the purchase of a new one and new pads. Since then I have had odd noise issues that are different than before.

When used rarely (climbing or straight trails) perfectly silent.
    When used hard (long downhill sections) maybe a little noise once or twice, but mostly silent.
    When used off and on (twisty singletrack) they make terrible noises braking before almost every corner, vibrate, but do seem to work fine. The noise goes away just before lockup occurs.

The only thing I can think of is heat. While cold or hot they are quiet, but loud when warm. If I brake and pedal through it the noise goes away for a little while, but comes back. Also, I have struggled to replicate this noise riding on the street, so every time I think I have it fixed, it comes back when I get to the trail.

Any tips?

(also, I made sure to properly bed in the pads and have tried cleaning and sanding several times)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    **** ELIXIRS.

My new bike came with Elixir CRs. First there was a problem with them being filled with too much fluid. Had to take it to a LBS. Then there was squeaking. Had to take it to an LBS. Then there was a problem with the pistons. I have waited three weeks, and have only gotten to ride my new bike for forty five minutes, and that was with the high pitched squeal going the whole time. Even though SRAM *may* replace the brakes, I know they're just going to break again.

**** them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have 3 bikes using different brakes, namely XTR, Sram XO and Magura Marta Magnesium and all cause some intermittent rotor rubbing sound since day 1 of use and all brakes install by different LBS.

At the shop, brake seems ok, but after riding for maybe 3 to 4 hours the noise start to come back.
    In end I adjust the brake caliper as center as possible using torch light to check the gap between rotor and caliper. The XTR and Magura are slightly easier to adjust but the Sram need the caliper to be open wider.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    In the end the only thing that worked for me was "squeal out." this is after multiple calibrations by two lbss. That stuff is gold - I highly recommend it.