mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Installing V-Brakes on Wally-World Fork

I'm fixing up a wally world bike that has a broken disk brake. Since getting a decent new disk brake would cost more than the bike, I've opted to just install v-brakes. The fork came with v-brake mounts with NO STUDS and NO STUD THREAD. It's just a hole punched in the side of the fork.

I went down to my LBS and picked up some studs and nuts for a couple of bucks, ordered Alivio V-Brakes. I've managed to screw on the studs (had to grind the nuts, used gorilla glue).

The problem is -- the v-brakes don't fit on the studs! The brakes fit onto the stud until they hit the shoulder; but the retainer pin doesn't make it into the retainer hole. The studs are the same as these: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ever+Stud.aspx

I've grinded down the shoulder of one stud (the part that is used to screw on the stud), and the retaining pin barely sits in the hole. I'd grind down the larger shoulder, but my Dremel exploded in the process and I'm kind of dead in the water (I don't feel like using hand tools). Anyone encounter anything like this before?

Edit: I _did_ call Shimano and they told me to call Suntour (for the OEM fork), but Suntour doesn't seem to have customer support in the US. I also called Pacific Cycle (company making the wally bikes) but they told me they could either replace the fork (150$ USD) or send me another disk brake caliper (90$).

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Dude, how much did the bike retail for? It may not be worth the effort.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    150$... You can't really ride a bike without the front brake =/