Thread: Installing pads

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Installing pads

Hey all,

Quick noob question for everyone. Went riding over the weekend and was giving my bike a once over when I got home and one pad on my rear wheel was split along the length. Obviously I'll be replacing it before I go out again. I'm assuming I can't just replace the cracked pad, I'll have to replace both pads on the rear wheel.

My question is, should I replace my front pads as well to keep all my pads wearing down at a consistent rate or is that unnecesary since front and rear brakes get worn down at totally different rates as it is.

FYI, I have the stock linear pull brakes from a Trek 6500.

Thanks.

...idios...
    Like you say, front and rear will almost certainly wear at different rates anyway, so just consider them as separate components and replace each pair as they go.

On a slight tangent, I'm wondering where your unusual screen-name comes from? It provokes many a bad memory for me.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Totally agree with Steve... just replace front or back as needed

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Will do, thanks guys. Thats what I figured, just wanted to check.

Steve, not trying to bring up bad memories for you. My dad's family is all Irish and so its just a nickname some of my buddies here in the states gave me and eventually I started using it as a screenname on forums since its hardly ever used. Helps show my pride in heritage and displays my slightly twisted sense of humour/irony at the same time. Not a bad drink either.

...idios...
    I see. I grew up with images of people blown to bits, so I guess I miss the irony of a beverage being named after a method of mass murder. here's some links to your 'heritage' (here and here). Good dirt, anyway.

Peace,
    Steve

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The heritage was the Irish part of it, not the carbomb. The irony is the glamorizing of atroscious (splg?) acts of terrorism, that in the eyes of many in American pop culture is an accepted means to an end in order to establish one nation as a whole.

I don't condone the use of the this method by any stretch of the imagination, but I also don't think the country should have been partioned by the Government of Ireland Act of 1920, nor should the Home Rule Acts (to name just two of the ridiculous legislation).

There is a breaking point after years and years of represion here and here are two pretty well known examples of such. So I don't think it is fair to say these attacks are unprovoked and even though tragic and awful as they are, it is part of history and should be acknowledged. Personally I think it is more powerful to talk out solutions, whether in the form of parlimentary reform or through art and literature such as Brendan Behan and Owen McCafferty.

Sorry, I'll get off the soapbox now.

...idios...
    My family is from Eire and, like i said, I grew up with the IRA and its atrocities and also the British Army and their atrocities, so I didn't really need the impromptu history lesson. I still miss the irony (the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning), completely.
    I'm not having a go at you, I just find it strange. I'd prefer it if your screen-name didn't encourage images in my head of people with their face ripped off, or dead babies, but it does. Maybe I'll get over it someday.
    I'm not after an argument, or even a discussion, but I had to ask.