mtbr member
    Sep 2010

installing new levers, and hose length

It looks like I need to remove the handle bar grips before putting on the levers, is this right?

Also I got a set of Shimano take offs but it is quite too long for a extra small bike, as long as I route it without it snagging on stuff it is OK right?
    I am not sure if I should get a new hose yet because it looks expensive and I don't have experience constructing the hose, the model is Shimano BH-59

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

mtbr member
    Hose construction is simple. Just did my first set on my new levers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    "It looks like I need to remove the handle bar grips before putting on the levers, is this right?"

Yup, unless the levers have a split perch, i.e. a clamp that has two bolts to hold the lever in place, then yeah you'll have to remove the grips to slide the lever on the bar.

"Also I got a set of Shimano take offs but it is quite too long for a extra small bike, as long as I route it without it snagging on stuff it is OK right?"

Not so much. The problem with the extra is guess where it's going to hang out. Right in front of the bars. Right where it can get snagged by every branch, twig and bush that you ride by on the trail. The extra will also be more prone to damage in a crash. You don't need to replace the brake lines, just shorten them and re-bleed the brakes. As Tillers_Rule noted, it's not that difficult, nor expensive. You can shorten them now, or you can replace the lines later, your call.

"I am not sure if I should get a new hose yet because it looks expensive and I don't have experience constructing the hose, the model is Shimano BH-59"

As stated previously you don't have to get new brake hoses. Just shorten the ones that you have. Much cheaper in the long run.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hey, after checking the instructions, it looks alot like ice water lines, I think I will trim the lever side and redo it.

I think I need one pair of this for each line I am going to cut
    (new olive and insert)

http://www.speedgoat.com/Catalog.aspx/Browse?Prod=1880

The hose kit comes with Shimano cutting tool like this too.. required?

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...ils.php?id=211

Maybe I should order this for $10 shipped, I assume it comes with 2 new olive and insert (for both ends of the hose), and it says it comes with the cutting tool..

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-BH59-9.../dp/B0029LBU98