mtbr member

Installing link wire cantilever brakes on a setup that had yolk cantilever

I am having a hard time finding info on this. My brakes came with instructions, but they are assuming that all my wires are set up for link wire. The bike had the yolk style, and the ones I just got have the link wire. I read the guide on park tools, and Sheldon, and still am unclear on all this.

The current setup leftover from the yolk style has the wire leading from the levers ending with a stud on the end of the wire. It was used to ensure the wire did not slip out of the screw with a hole in it that attached it to the yolk. I cannot thread the wire through the link wire housing with the stud on, it needs to be cut... or does it? Am I misinterpreting how to attach the link wire? My understanding of link wire setup is the wire from the lever runs all the way to one of the calipers through the housing on the link wire, instead of ending at the yolk like it used to. Is that correct?

Originally, I thought the wire from the levers may be too short to thread through the link wire, but once I unhooked it from the rear cable hanger on the frame, I was able to pull enough slack up. I won't be able to rehook it into the hanger unless I trim the cable housing and strip off the metal collar that is preventing the wire from moving freely in and out of the housing. I am not sure if there is something special about this housing setup that makes it so I need to keep the collar in place or to keep it hooked in the hanger in the back.

I got the brake calipers installed on the bike just fine, I know how to adjust them and the brake pads. This is what all the videos and tutorials are about. I am having trouble connecting them to the wires properly... I don't want to do this wrong, cut something I shouldn't, and have a real mess on my hands!

mtbr member
    Bump, if anyone can help...

mtbr member
    Epic failure.

First, the brake cable was too thick to fit through the housing of the link. I had to strip a few strands off the braid. After an hour of ****ing with it to get it in (and I made sure I used the shorter link meant for the rear) I realized the cable itself is too short. Not enough clearance. ****, now I need to go to the LBS and pay some ridiculous amount for a brake cable. I go to the brake lever to remove it, and find out whoever installed it 16 years ago stripped the allen key head, and it is the rounded type I can't grab with my socket wrenches.

I give the **** up.

*cries*