mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Installing hose for Hayes HFX-9 disc brake

Hey guys,

I recently bought some Hayes HFX-9's for a good price. I have to cut the hose for the front brake, so I need to reinstall the compression bushing and hook the hose back up to the master cylinder. I haven't done much of this before.

I cut the hose with a razorblade and it was a fairly good and even cut. I was careful not to let any brake fluid spill out. I got a new HFX-9 compression bushing, inserted it into the hose on the cut end, and connected it with the master cylinder. I screwed the bolt in over the hose and tightened it hard, which secured the compression bushing. I thought all was good.

I put the brake on my bike and squeezed the lever a few times and it felt good. I squeezed it a few more times and it got really loose. I squeezed it one more time and the hose popped out of the master cylinder. The bolt and compression bushing was left in the master cylinder connection, so the newly cut hose was freely hanging open-ended.

What have I done wrong? I screwed the bolt in really tight, and now that I've taken the compression bushing out, it looked much more molded than its supposed to. Did I simply screw it in too hard?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    did you slide the hose all the way onto the fitting? it needs to bottom out nice and squarely, and then insert all the way into the lever.. and the compression nut needs to screw almost all the way in, i think i have 2 threads showing or so.

are you sure you tightened it enough? you might want to use a torque wrench if you're having that problem. i just replaced my rear hfx9 hose and it was the easiest brake repair ive ever done.. it should go really smoothly!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    1. After cutting the hose, slip the plastic cover and compression nut onto the end (thread pointing to the cut end). Make a mark on the hose with your thumb nail 4mm from the end. Then slightly bevel (widen) the hole with a phillips screwdriver ready to receive the barbed olive.

2. Push the olive onto the hose as far as you can by hand and tap it in the rest of the way with a small hammer . Use the thumb nail mark as a reference.

3. Lightly grease the side of the olive and the threads of the compression nut. This will allow you to remove the compression nut without the use of a ring spanner

4. Insert the hose into the lever and make sure it bottoms out. Gently screw in the compression nut with one hand whilst pushing the hose inwards with the other. The lever threads are very easy to strip so becareful.

5. Tighten with a spanner - hand tight then a little bit more (say, up to a third of a turn more) is enough. You will feel the olive deform so that it locks securely onto the hose.

mtbr member
    Don't want to hijack the thread or anything...but. I purchased a pair of El Camino's from Jensen and unlike all the other disk brakes I have purchased didn't come with an extra compression fitting to re-attach the cable at the lever. Do I have to order the fitting or would an Ace hardware have one? LBS...maybe?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks a lot guys, I got it working. For reference, my problem was that I didn't shove the compression bushing in far enough into the hose.