mtbr member
    Jan 2004

installing hayes mag plus

i am about to install a set of hayes mag+ disc brakes. the manual says i need to use a torque wrench. is this abbsolutely necessary or can i get by w/o using it and just tighten it with a wrench? torque wrenches are $50-$70 and i dont know if i would use it much after installing the brakes. advice?
    thanks

banned
    Jan 2004

You can get the Park for $35, or the same thing with a foot...

Quote Originally Posted by crapsneleven
    i am about to install a set of hayes mag+ disc brakes. the manual says i need to use a torque wrench. is this abbsolutely necessary or can i get by w/o using it and just tighten it with a wrench? torque wrenches are $50-$70 and i dont know if i would use it much after installing the brakes. advice?
    thanks
    ...pound scale which you can convert to inch pound by multiplying by 12 for $20 through Sears.

http://www.worldcycling.com/merchant...&Category_Code=

[size=4]Craftsman Beam Torque Wrench, 3/8 in. Drive

[/size]
    Beam-type. Separate English and Metric scales. Graduated indicator tip offers line-on-line reading to help eliminate parallax error. Torque accurate to 4 percent.

[size=3]$19.99[/size]

Rebate details

Note: these tools look to be identical, except for the calibrations being different, the English calibrations (Newton meters) should be the same. Most reputable component manufacturers list Newton meters in their torque specifications.

Last edited by Gnarlygig; 03-07-2004 at 08:30 AM.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by crapsneleven
    thanks
    You can crank on the caliper bolts, but they don't need to be super tight. The small allen screws for the levers are delicate and should not be tightened too much, the heads will wallow out if you over tighten.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    You can crank on the caliper bolts, but they don't need to be super tight. The small allen screws for the levers are delicate and should not be tightened too much, the heads will wallow out if you over tighten.
    this can easly be solved by getting some 4mmx0.7 at 20 or 25 mill meters long.

you can get a bag of two for like 38 cents. they will be flat head not allen though. works for me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snipes287
    this can easly be solved by getting some 4mmx0.7 at 20 or 25 mill meters long. you can get a bag of two for like 38 cents. they will be flat head not allen though. works for me
    And replace the chi-chi Ti bolts that came in with the Mag Plus? Are you kidding? The Ti hardware (and the carbon levers) are one of the main reasons these brakes cost so much.

I'm running the Mag Plus brakes on my Intense 5.5. There's no need to worry about using a torque wrench. Just use common sense and you'll be fine.

Eric
    MTB - Niner Jet9 RDO
    MTB - '10 S-WORKS 29er hardtail
    Road - '11 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Oakley - High Definition Optics

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    didn't know there was a diff between the mag plus and the mags