mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Installing disc brakes on manitou tower fork

Just got myself a new fork - manitou tower, but I'm having issues the the disc brake adapter. I had Dart 3 fork before, the brakes are avid BB5's on a avid 185mm disc. As you can see on the image:

The bosses are reversed (length wise - tower on the left, dart3 on the right) I tried using the original adapter that came with the bike, just reversing it, but the brake seems to be sitting to close to the center of the disc, preventing the wheel from rotating. I think that the amount of interference is really minimal thou... should I just use washers?

Tried looking for adapters first, but all adapters for 185 disc / post mount should be functionally the same, right? Am I missing something? Are there adapters specific to for brands?

mtbr member
    Don't reverse the adapter, it should still go on the right way up. I had the same thing when I went from a Domain to a Sektor, the posts were a different shape, but it made no difference when I put it on.
    If you put it on the Tower the with the same adapter it should be fine, the brake will just be on a slightly different orientation.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiplague View Post
    Don't reverse the adapter, it should still go on the right way up. I had the same thing when I went from a Domain to a Sektor, the posts were a different shape, but it made no difference when I put it on.
    If you put it on the Tower the with the same adapter it should be fine, the brake will just be on a slightly different orientation.
    yup, what he said... the arc of the rotor will just enter high and exit low on the pad now instead of the other way around. Should actual help stop brake squeal supposedly... at least that's the rumor anyway... not sure how factual it is
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ha! It worked! I'm glad I was installing the fork myself... So much fun!

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Be careful turning that rebound dampening knob. It is very stiff and easy to turn the wrong way as it flexes like crazy before actually moving. I'm pretty sure clockwise is more. Other than that, you'll love the fork. I've only got 10 hours on mine and already it's supple. I can't wait till mine's broken in. it's super easy to service too; I pulled the lowers to check the oil levels just to be safe.

Drew
    occasional cyclist