mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Installing avid brakes

I just picked up a set of 160mm avid mechanical disk brakes from pricepoint for my brand new rockhopper. Now, first of all, I don't think they sent a T25 torx wrench with the brakes. I can't find one anywhere in the box. It also says I need an adjustable torque wrench. I guess I shouldn't just go ahead and tighten these screws down with an allen wrench, huh? I've found a couple different multi-tools that have T25 torx wrenches on 'em, but can't seem to find an adjustable torque wrench. My LBS doesn't have 'em, and I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. Any idea where I should be looking for this thing? Thanks for the help,

-Ezra

Birdman aka JMJ

Torque and torx

Quote Originally Posted by elevin
    I just picked up a set of 160mm avid mechanical disk brakes from pricepoint for my brand new rockhopper. Now, first of all, I don't think they sent a T25 torx wrench with the brakes. I can't find one anywhere in the box. It also says I need an adjustable torque wrench. I guess I shouldn't just go ahead and tighten these screws down with an allen wrench, huh? I've found a couple different multi-tools that have T25 torx wrenches on 'em, but can't seem to find an adjustable torque wrench. My LBS doesn't have 'em, and I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. Any idea where I should be looking for this thing? Thanks for the help,

-Ezra
    Check out Performancebike.com - they have Park torque wrenches. Also, try a search on qbike.com or bestwebbuys.com/bike.

Any hardwar store should have T25 wrenches.

Good luck - JMJ

Fat Boy Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by elevin

-Ezra
    I'm pretty sure the adjustable torque wrench is just so you can measure how much to torque down the bolts for the rotor. If your LBS doesn't have one, call Avid and tell them you can't locate one and ask how much you should hand tighten them. They probably can give you a good idea of how much pressure to use.

DT

R.I.P. DogFriend
    If you have a Manitou 74mm post mount fork on that bike, DO NOT install a caliper or caliper bracket to that fork without using longer bolts. I don’t know what Avid recommends for torquing those bolts, but Manitou says to follow the brake manufacturer’s instructions. Hayes spec’s something over 100 inch pounds which will strip out the lowers on some Manitou forks, especially with the stock length bolts. I learned this the hard way. Torque them to 80 inch pounds. I used 25mm length socket head (allen) screws on the most recent one I did. Manitou even has a bolt it for this with longer screws. You can adapt down to the ¼” drive T25 Torx bit from a 3/8” drive if you need to.

Let’s review:

1) Buy a torque wrench if you cannot borrow one. To adjust to that torque range (say at least between 0 to 250 inch pounds) it will likely be a 3/8” drive, but you might find one that is a ¼” drive.
    2) Use the torque wrench and find out what the values are for all of the bolts in this installation. I normally don’t use a torque wrench when working on a bike, but for this, I definitely do and advise others to do the same. If you don’t, it can get expensive real fast.
    3) See if you can use longer bolts than come with your brakeset to mount anything to your fork. Use the longest ones you can that will not bottom out.
    4) If you are thinking of skipping the torque wrench part, re-read my post as many times as it takes to realize that you need to use the torque wrench for this procedure.

That you don't know what to look for in a torque wrench concerns me a little. Make sure you read the directions for the torque wrench regarding the adjustment of it. Not terribly complicated, but important none the less.

Avid mechanical disc brakes are pretty straightforward to install and adjust, so go for it, but follow directions.

Having gone through what I have with these, if I were going to install a new set, there are a few things I would do in addition to what is recommended. At the very least, I would lightly sand the pads and barely chamfer the edges of the pads with the sandpaper. The second thing I would do is to clean the rotor after it is installed regardless of whether or not you felt you handled it enough to contaminate it during installation. This will reduce the chances of it squealing during and after break-in. To break them in, I would find a long hill (about a mile long or more & preferrably on the street and where you can stop rather easily if need be). Start out for the first quarter mile or so with light pressure on & off the pads. During the next half mile gradually increase the pressure you apply. After that, start to brake harder until you get past a mile to really try to stop fast. By this time, they should start to feel pretty good (the only other thing I did was to coat the back of the pads with some disc brake goop, but I am not going to recommend that step unless you feel like your comfortable enough to try it and then to undo it if you don't like it). Worked for me after getting the dreaded squeal during the initial installation.

Good luck and remember. . . . . torque wrench.