mtbr member

install v-brake - which pin on brake boss to use?

Couple of questions...what is the correct name for this part of the brake boss that has the 3 pin hole adjustments (see picture)?

And #2, which should I use to get the best braking? The middle seems like there is hardly any resistance, so I move it the 3rd position to get the most resistance, I'm just not sure if its too much. I don't want to stress my cables and brakes too much.

Any rules of thumb on installing the V-brake arms?
    Attached Images Attached Images

ballbuster

Middle

Quote Originally Posted by signalMTB
    Couple of questions...what is the correct name for this part of the brake boss that has the 3 pin hole adjustments (see picture)?

And #2, which should I use to get the best braking? The middle seems like there is hardly any resistance, so I move it the 3rd position to get the most resistance, I'm just not sure if its too much. I don't want to stress my cables and brakes too much.

Any rules of thumb on installing the V-brake arms?
    you only need enough spring pressure to reliably pull the cable and lever back when you let go. It's more about stressing your hands and arms.

nnn
    mtbr member
    Yep those other holes are only there if something is wrong with your brakes, brand new ones install in the middle hole, and you fine tune the return tension using the screws on the brake arms.

mtbr member
    Yep, center hole is the best. Then use the adjustment screws to fine tune.
    The extra holes are useful if wheels are swapped to something either wider or narrower than stock but for the most part use the center one. They were also useful for canti brakes, with V-brakes you don't really need but one.

Another issue, depending on the brakes used, is I've seen the spring wire bend because there is too much tension on it, usually because the brake was mounted in the highest tension position.
    Bikes=Sanity

Commit or eat sh!t
    I use the middle hole. I then use the adjustment screw to set the optimal position of the pads (to ge them close to the wheels but so so close so they are touching).