banned

Install Tips for Avid Mechs?

Hi All,

I'm expecting a set of Avid Mechs in the mail any day now. Having never dealt with disc brakes at all, is there anything I should know/look out for that might not be covered in the instruction manual?

Thanks!

Baliw
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane
    I'm expecting a set of Avid Mechs in the mail any day now. Having never dealt with disc brakes at all, is there anything I should know/look out for that might not be covered in the instruction manual?
    Nah, not really. The instructions are pretty good, and the system itself is very simple to set up. A tip though: if you experience dragging pads, I found that spreading the pad spring further apart makes the pads sit against the calipers a bit more forcefully, away from the rotor.

It's an excellent disc brake system, and I think quite a bit more robust than hydraulics.

mtbr member
    It's all pretty much in the instructions. But don't touch the rotor blade, center the rotor around all the holes on the hub and torque the bolts evenly and moving to the opposite bolt around the hub so that you do not warp the rotor. Set the inside pads 2/3 of the way in, leaving the caliper bolts slightly loose, insert the wheel, tighten the outside pads 1/3 of the way, and lock the caliper bolts. Back the pads off a click or two and your done.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    In my bone-headedness earlier, I screwed up the calipers when re-installing the wheels on my new bike (I'm new to disc brakes). On the rear, I bent the pad spring a little, so I had to take it out to bend it back. It was a bit of a hassle putting it back. Then, when putting on the front, I accidentally pulled one of the brake pads out (I know, I sound like an oaf). So, again I had to fiddle around with the pads and the pad spring.

I had an even bigger problem, though. I can't remember if it was the front or the rear, but the bearing wouldn't retract when diailng the knob out. Eventually, it actually fell out of the caliper. Luckily, I just had to snap it back in. I put the pad, and pad spring back in, and then it worked again. Needless to say, I'll know how to fix my brakes the next time I have any trouble.

If you're not a clutz like me, you probably won't have any problem setting up the brakes. Just be careful when putting those wheels on!

mtbr member
    Hi All,

Thanks!

I just installed a set for the first time last night. It was pretty darn simple. I took my time and from start to finish, spent about 3 hours on 'em. I probably spent more time trying to figure out how I wanted to run the cables than actually installing the rotors and calipers. I'm hoping to get time to bed the pads tonight.

Dean

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Wink scratch the rotors and pads

before installing and the very first application of brakes with medium grit sand paper to eliminate oil/dust/contaminants that could have accumulated on manufacturing and packing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARITAO_BIKER
    before installing and the very first application of brakes with medium grit sand paper to eliminate oil/dust/contaminants that could have accumulated on manufacturing and packing

Hmmm..... good tip. I didn't think about cleaning the pads. I did scrub the rotors pretty well with rubbing alchohol and a towel. I took the bike out last night to try bedding in the pads and went from gliding to a stop to being able to put myself over the bars in the course of an hour. The stopping power is pretty amazing.

Dean

banned
    Hi All,

Thanks!
    Thanks everybody! They arrived, and I'll probably put 'em on this weekend. I'll see how it goes.

I can use the existing brake cable, correct?
    Last edited by Drewdane; 03-18-2004 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Jitterbug Perfume

Baliw
    Jan 2004
    Thanks everybody! They arrived, and I'll probably put 'em on this weekend. I'll see how it goes.

I can use the existing brake cable, correct?
    If you're converting from Vs, your existing cables will most likely be too short for the Avids. Your levers will be fine, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Juramentado
    If you're converting from Vs, your existing cables will most likely be too short for the Avids. Your levers will be fine, though.

My V-brake cables were, in fact, too short. So, I spanned the distance by attaching some mint flavored dental floss (waxed) to the end of the cable and to the caliper actuating arm. Works like a charm!

Dean

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Juramentado
    Good point. Too bad, though - I just put in a new cable (the disc brakes were bought on a bit of a whim).

I dunno about that dental floss thing, man...