mtbr member

Input on rotor size before I buy please...

I'm about 220-225# geared up riding a hardtail through single track with some climbing and descents but nothing too crazy. I have bought Formula RX's and need to buy rotors, was going to buy the R1's from price point unless I find them cheaper elsewhere.
    Is a 160mm going to be sufficient or should I do a 180/160 or 180/180 on the bike?

I'm going from 160/160 tektro mechanicals so whatever I do will be better than what I got but I'd like input from people that have done this before I click the credit card and purchase.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    180/160

You can get away with 160/160 and save a few grams, but the extra stopping power that comes with the larger front rotor will be appreciated when descending.

I currently have the same brake system and those very same rotors. They work pretty good together. If however the new rotors from Formula become available, you might want to try those. I don't know what they will be called, but the are a 2 piece floating design and can be purchased as 6 bolt or center lock and might possibly have optional colors, but that is just a guess since I seen red anodized ones in Mountain Bike Action a few issues back.

mtbr member
    I'd love to get the 2 piece but nobody seems to know when they'll be available.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I called formula a couple of weeks ago to ask about the 2011 floating rotors and they said look for them in april or may.

mtbr member
    Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0