Urban to Mountian Rider
    Dec 2008

Increasing strength? [+Other Q's]

Hey everyone!
    i have a question for you guys.
    i have the Avid BB5's on my specialized bike.
    i was wondering if there was a way to increase the power of the breaks. they have good power in the rear, but when i try to do an endo i have to kick the bike up. my friend has some promax discs on his schwinn bike dealeo and his lock up and he does an endo without effort. i have tried to clean with rubbing alcohol but i dont think that it is really doing much.
    so if you could help me with this i would really appreciate it!

And second of all, when i use my rear brake, it makes like a metal squeaky noise but its not squeaky, it sounds really rough rubbing like whenever the pads rub over any cut outs in the rotor they make a wierd grindy noise that sounds almost like water dripping or something. do you know what could be causing this problem?
    thanks a bunch!!

Dirt Deviant
    How long have you used the brakes for? If they are new, it will take some time for them to break in.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mbtr member
    My guess is you feel more confident braking with the rear, and so the rear brake has bedded in, while the under-used front brake still needs some more stops before it starts to perform properly.

Urban to Mountian Rider
    Dec 2008
    actually i use the front brake more than the rear because it works better, but it wont lock up. the rear will, but it always has. i have had them for about 4 months. i bike regularly too so i know that they are broken in and bedded where they should be... i just expect the front to lock up just like the rear. i am decent at biking and better than average but i am still learning.

Urban to Mountian Rider
    Dec 2008
    and btw i dont like to use the rear brake as much as the front, but i still use it. pretty evenly as the front just a tiny bit less...

Urban to Mountian Rider
    Dec 2008
    anyone?
    thanks in advance!!

Let the good times roll.
    The first thing you should check is that your calipers are aligned to the rotors correctly and that the spacing is right. I haven't dealt with Avid mechanical discs for a while and I don't remember the details. Just check that the alignment and spacing matches what the manual recommends. A small deviation can create a large difference in performance.

After that, you may want to experiment with different lever positions and braking techniques.

I've also been having weak braking issues with my Hayes HFX9s. My braking technique since as long as I can remember has been to use the outermost knuckles of my index and middle fingers. On the suggestion of a riding buddy, I moved the lever in, rotated it up, and tried using the middle knuckle of my index finger. It's not a night-and-day difference, but I definitely notice more braking power even though I'm using 1 less finger.

Avid BB5s, if set up properly, can be killer brakes. They just take some tinkering to get just right.

Urban to Mountian Rider
    Dec 2008
    yeah i have noticed that. sometimes they have NO power at all when i am trying all of the adjustments. but when i get a right adjustment then i all of the sudden have like 3x the brake power just using adjustments..
    but what about the noise that i hear?
    is that normal?
    thanks a bunch!

I think we should go back
    Nov 2008
    I also have the lower pitch kind of train horn vibration sound as biker maniack and my bike is about 2 weeks old. Is it water that causes this or dirt or what?