mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Inconsistent braking, whats the reason?

My front brake is giving inconsistent braking forces. Its almost like 1/3 of the rotor is clean and the pads grab it strongly while the rest has some contaminant. Its also something like braking with rim brakes with a buckled rimÖ
    Iíd have thought if it was contaminant then it would have spread round the whole rotor. Is it something like the thickness of the disc? Or the way it has been manufactured? I think Iíve had this problem with an old hope rotor (maybe shimano actually?)

Hope M4ís, new (fairly bedded in) superstar Kevlar pads, superstar 200mm vibe rotor. No problems with those parts previously.

Interestingly I used the same superstar rotors for a week in morzine and they suffered a huge amount of wear. So much so Iíve bought new ones. There a chance that they not been hardened properly? Or do the discs need gently bedding in as well as the pads? Hurling the bike down les gets might not have done them good in the long term?

source of the rotor for those confused by the brand: superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=200

mtbr member
    Try cleaning the rotors with brake cleaner. See if that helps.

Otherwise - does it take a while to grab initially? Or is that third/two thirds grip happen all the time?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'll have to go search for some brake cleaner - any recommended products?
    the third/two thirds grip thing is all the time. more noticeable with cold brakes.

mtbr member
    Being in New Zealand, I am not sure that what I can get is available to you. Try your LBS. If they do not have some, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Can you feel that braking force is oscillating with a frequency proportional to your speed even if the rotors are clean?

I had such a problem with brand new Avid rotors. LBS mechanic and I came to the conclusion that the rotor thickness was changing at certain regions and causing the problem. New rotor under warranty and everything has been fine ever since.