mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Improvements to the Magura Louise System over the Past 5 years?

Hey all, I've been a Magura Cult member since 2000 When I first put a pair of used Magura Louise Disks on my hardtail. I since sold that bike, and my last bike came stock with hayes. Now the new bike I'm getting comes with Avid Ballbearing Disks, but I'm sonsidering switching back to the Louise. I Was just wondering what changes and improvements have been made to the system since the last model of these breaks that I owned? I loved my old pair of louises despite rattley levers, some rubbing, constant pad adjustment, and inconsistant feel sometimes....because when they worked, they worked extremely well. I understand that alot of improvements have been made since then, but what?

-Are the levers now metal or plastic?
    -Is one pad still stationary and adjustable or are they self adjusting now?
    -Do they still over super strong wheel-locking pawer and great modulation?
    -Have durability and consistancy issues been solved?
    Anything else I should know?

I assume the switch from Avids to Louises would be a good upgrade??
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I just put a pair of louise FR 04's on a ventana and my titus and they lever is now metal, they are self adjusting, they have very good modulation, and easy one finger wheel locking power (though I have 180mm rotors). I don't have a ton of disc brake experience but my titus had avid mechanicals on before and while they are good brakes, the lever feel with these is way better, power is better (again probably partially the larger rotor) and they are quite a bit lighter).

I don't have a huge amount of miles on them maybe 300-400 between the two bikes so far, but so far I've been very impressed, the feel is consistant, I don't get any drag, the only thing I could say is for me at least I had a real pain bleeding the rear to my satisfaction, but I'm anal too.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiggy
    -Are the levers now metal or plastic?
    -Is one pad still stationary and adjustable or are they self adjusting now?
    Fully self-adjustable now. Set em up and fahgetaboutit
    -Do they still over super strong wheel-locking pawer and great modulation?
    Yes indeed
    -Have durability and consistancy issues been solved?
    I never thought it was a problem. Have owned single-piston Louise and both 1st & 2d generation Louise FR and all have been superb
    Anything else I should know?[/QUOTE] Magura has the best customer service in the business. There's been some reports of a mild stuttering with the new wavy rotors, but its not unique to Magura as Avid users have also reported it. Magura is addressing the issue and it wouldn't deter me from purchasing them.

I assume the switch from Avids to Louises would be a good upgrade??
    Thanks!
    Depends what you're looking for. The Avids are nice and plenty strong when used with a larger rotor. Plus, you can choose your lever. But I don't like the grabbiness of Avid's and just prefer they hydro feel.
    Life....the original terminal illness

Do It Yourself
    The new 2004 Louise are also one piece calipers like the Martas now. And with the current MCM special pricing on the Louise, it's hard to beat. I need to do something with my Marta to work with my new Manitiou and just switching to a new set of Louise is one of the options I'm looking at. I switched from Avid BB discs to Martas and much prefer the smooth hydro feel and improved modulation.