Trying to find Flow

I'm lovin' my Formula Oros....but

My first real set of disc brakes and they're truly a revelation. One finger braking with better modulation than the Martas I tried.

However, my rear brake is a real howler. I took it in to get the pads realigned and rotors cleaned and we'll see how that works, but I was wondering if there were some other brake pads that work better with those brakes. I know Galfer designs pads for specific brakes, maybe there's something out there for mine - thought Formulas are relatively rare in the States.

One more thing. The only real downside to the Oros is the weight relative to Martas. I think the Oros are in the 400 gram neighborhood. I have noticed quite a few steel fasteners. Is it safe to replace some of these with ti fasteners? How much of a performance knock am I gonna get going with aluminum rotors, too? I know I shouldn't be this obsessive, but it is a race bike and I want to get it below 23 lbs (Kona King Kikapu with Fox rlt100)

banned
    look at the weight weenie, concerned about grams! heeeeeeee hawwwwwwwww.

Patch, what compound pads are in the rear caliper now, do you know? as you are implying, sometimes switching to a different compound can do it, and Formula might well spec several different compounds. have you e-mailed Thorsten?

other thoughts:

- denatured alcohol soak and deglaze for both pads and rotor; use emery cloth or sandpaper for the deglaze

- check alignment... I don't know if the Formulas use shimming or some other method, but it's possible that you need to realign the caliper/rotor planes.

when I ran my Hope Mini I found that EBC Gold compound worked pretty well but could cause squealing. EBC Green was quieter **but** too soft (insufficient braking power at high speeds and on steeps) for me, but for XC racing just might be perfect.

Trying to find Flow
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    look at the weight weenie, concerned about grams! heeeeeeee hawwwwwwwww.

Patch, what compound pads are in the rear caliper now, do you know? as you are implying, sometimes switching to a different compound can do it, and Formula might well spec several different compounds. have you e-mailed Thorsten?

other thoughts:

- denatured alcohol soak and deglaze for both pads and rotor; use emery cloth or sandpaper for the deglaze

- check alignment... I don't know if the Formulas use shimming or some other method, but it's possible that you need to realign the caliper/rotor planes.

when I ran my Hope Mini I found that EBC Gold compound worked pretty well but could cause squealing. EBC Green was quieter **but** too soft (insufficient braking power at high speeds and on steeps) for me, but for XC racing just might be perfect.
    Don't demean my weight weenie ways Mr. Full Face Helmet, Darth Vader clad, baggy short wearing, Mt. Dew drinking, hee haw huckster.

Yeah, I was going to email Thorsten, but I figured he'd be trolling this board too, so maybe I'd get not only his feedback but other input as well.

Don't know the compound. It's stock...whatever that is. Kitty's husband tried the alcohol thing in Moab, and it worked for about 10 minutes.

Bike's in the shop now and my friendly LBS guy observed that the pads were a little off-center. They were gonna realign and clean with alcohol.

Meh
    2 wheels 1 love seems to have pads for your formulas..check here