Recovering couch patato

I'm lost, which are the durable and light 160's to get?

Hi gang,

Did some research, but I'm overwhelmed in all the offerings.

I'm building a Fisher Superfly, and it's a pretty light build. Not over the top weightweenie light, as I'm between 180-200lb and sometimes race.

In the light of the light build (rigid, XO, light wheels) I'd like a not-too-bulky brakeset.
    And as I'm a dummy with hydraulics, something durable is to be preferred over something with a carbon lever to save 10 louzy grams.

I want to like the XTR's, for their looks, but reviews keep mentioning sticky pistons. How much heavier are XT's, and do they even come in IS, without need for PM adapter?

A fan of Formula, I love the Extremes which are in my parts bin. But those are the "wrong" color, and perhaps not as light, plus possible overweight for XC.
    Are K18's good enough, or is there reason to pay the huge upcharge for Puro's etc?
    Love the idea of the Radial 1's for their design and weight, but the price may not be going to be nice...

I prefer 6-bolt rotors, have bought hubs already.

I won't have long steep DH's (lowlands mountainbiker), prefer a firm contact point and good modulation. I obviously run 29" wheels, which should make brakes less snappy, which is good.
    I should suffice with 160's, as those get stronger every year anyway.

If possible, I'd like to keep budget in check unless the durability, weight and looks of a particular brake are all worth it to upgrade.

Thanks for your ideas!

J
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

banned
    Mono Minis are fine, especially with Metallic pads. I was going to suggest Louises, but they're not the lightest ones out there.

If you're going for "firm contact point and good modulation", that's where the Mini excels. I was going to recommend the Marta, but one can purchase the standard Mini for quite a bit less than the Marta.

There's also Shimano XT and like the Hope, it's a snap to bleed, though it uses Mineral over DOT, should you have a preference.

Too bad we're now in different countries because I would have offered my Minis to test out for a weekend.