mtbr member

I'm an idiot - stripped bleed screws

So I went to bleed my Formula K24's, and after all was said and done, they ended up worse than they were before.

So I go to bleed again and ended up stripping the torx heads on the bleed screws. (both the master cylinder & caliper)

I tried getting them out with the Grabit screw extractor, but haven't had any luck. Anyone have any suggestions?

Wiz
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by volleybrad
    So I went to bleed my Formula K24's, and after all was said and done, they ended up worse than they were before.So I go to bleed again and ended up stripping the torx heads on the bleed screws. (both the master cylinder & caliper)I tried getting them out with the Grabit screw extractor, but haven't had any luck.* Anyone have any suggestions?
    I've tried the extractor thing, but learned cooler heads prevail . When I would have the misfortune of my "a too heavy of hand" in the past, I took the component (or frame) to my bud who was a seasoned auto mechanic & avid MTBer. He'd laugh and tell me to go play on the highway for a little while. When I returned w/out injury and a 12 pack in hand the bolt would be gone and the threads clean w/NO damage!. (you don't want to have more issues) He never would tell me what tools he was using ("trade secret") Sadly, My friend has since passed away, but a good small auto shop should be able to help. I've seen some "bike mechanics" who make a complete mess w/a drill (retapping , different bolt sizes etc.); so be careful who you trust. This is Not to say that a good bike mechanic can't get it done right. BUT, I've seen many many errors by comparison. Not only do you have to know your metal, have the right tools, you need the Experience. Good luck...like to hear your back up and runn'n.*

All day long
    I'm not too familiar with the brakes, but when removing stripped hardware in the past I have always used a Dremel tool to cut a slot in the screw's head and remove it with a flat screwdriver.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    +1 on the last post. Works great.

capn

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tips guys.

I've done the dremel before with screws that had heads that were exposed. However, the bleed screws for this are recessed and sit below the surface - if that makes sense.

Is there a different attachment other than the circular cutting tool?

Dirt Deviant
    With a complete set of jewelers flat head screwdrivers, there really isn't a small torx or allen that can't be removed in my experience.
    Just find the one that best fits and slowly turn with alot of downward force. It helps to put a dot of some kind of oil on the threads first as well.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.