mtbr member
    Jan 2004

If you had a choice between Avid and Hayes?

I am getting ready to dump my 5 year old XTR 965 Dual Control levers. I want to go back to my XTR 952 Rapid fire shifters and would like to change my brakes. For the most part I have been happy with the braking power of my XTR brakes and how they work in general. It is the dual controls I really want to dump. But it has been 5 years, so a change is OK.

I have been thinking about either the Avid Elixir CR or Hayes Stroker (1 of the variations of Stroker) which 1 I don't know yet. Heard about the Stroker Gram and Stoker Trail. What would you guys recommend??? Avid? Hayes? Stroker Trail? Stroker Gram? Other Stroker? I mainly ride XC and am fairly agessive.

I broke my left wrist at the beginning of August while flying down a hill and crashing, and have just started to TRY and ride again. After getting the cast off, I have been in Physical Therapy to try and get full motion etc back. It is the effort involved with the dual control and front shifting that is a HUGE problem. I am having a hell of a time trying to push down on the lever to try and up shift. I did just replace my cables hoping that would help. I know in time my strength will improve and that the shifting will be OK in time. But I have found a reason to change and am now most likely going to upgrade (sidegrade?). I will probably upgrade to the new XTR Rapidfire shifters down the road as well, but I do have my old XTR 952's still, so I can just go with those for awhile.

Are the Elixir's as good as I am hearing? I know Hayes has a great reputation, but I have been out of the market for brakes for 5 years and just do not know anymore what I should go for.

Thanks for any help!
    Kevin

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Any Thoughts on the Elixir CR's or Hayes Stroker's

Any Thoughts on the Elixir CR's or Hayes Stroker's? Or should I consider something else?

Meh.
    I got to play with a set of Elixir CRs that came through the shop. Very light. Just cruising around the floor and the parking lot, they have plenty of power and more modulation than my Juicies. I'm seriously thinking about dumping my Juicies to grab a set of Elixirs. I've had no problems with Avid and my Juicies have all been great. And SRAM CS has always treated me and my shop well. Warranties have been prompt.

My experience with Hayes CS has been mediocre. Not terrible. The Stroker Trail is a good brake though.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

One half the other...

Flip a coin and see where you can get the best deal. I'm a fan of Shimano brakes, but others not so much...it is personal choice. I ran Avid Juicy's and found them a pain in the rear but I'm sensitive to brake noise and rub--others are not. I ran Hayes Mag's for a long time and like them a lot.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    If I had to choose between Avid or Hayes, I'd choose Formula... or Hope for that matter...

Open your eyes, or at least do some research and try a search here before you spend the $$$

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have been doing some research, that is why I asked the question. I just never gave Formula a thought. I did look at some of the Formulas and they look quite nice. The Hope also look nice. I have used Hope 2 piece rotors for quite sometime until just the past couple of weeks. I installed a new fork with post mounts and discovered my 200MM Hope 2 piece rotor would not fit a PM fork. The rivits rubbed the Posts, so I switched over to Avid rotors. I guess that is why I was looking at Avid Brakes.

OK, what is the advantage of Formula or Hope over Avid, Hayes and Shimano XTR. I have no tolerance for noise, howling or rub. I spent a tremendous amount of time making sure my XTR 965 brakes were bled and shimmed properly to avoid noise as much as possible. Noise just takes me out of a ride.
    Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kevindef
    OK, what is the advantage of Formula or Hope over Avid, Hayes and Shimano XTR.
    Better power & modulation. Formulas are probably the best overall brakes out there right now, excellent power and reliability is second to none, read the reviews. I've tried them a couple of times and it was a very good experience.
    Hopes are kings in the modulation department, and have very good power too. I have Hopes right now and I'm sold on them, noise free and they excell in technical, slow sections where you don't want to block a wheel. Just need to take your time to set them up properly.

Shimano are very good brakes too, don't count them out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I chose Avid. I'm very happy with my decision, too.

ride hard take risks
    Hayes Strokers have excellent feel and feedback giving the rider control over the brakes. C/S is excellent & parts availability is no problem at almost any LBS.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, I think I have made my decision. It looks like I will go with the Hope Mono Mini Pro. I noticed in another thread that Hope will be updating several of their brakes in the coming weeks, so I may wait to see what happens. The Mono Mini Pro from what I have been told is real nice brake. Anyone have them?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kevindef
    Well, I think I have made my decision. It looks like I will go with the Hope Mono Mini Pro. I noticed in another thread that Hope will be updating several of their brakes in the coming weeks, so I may wait to see what happens. The Mono Mini Pro from what I have been told is real nice brake. Anyone have them?
    Excellent choice, haven't tried the Pros but Hopes are very good brakes, bleeding is so easy you'll be surprised. Just take your time to set them up correctly as it will pay off later down the road.

It took me a little bit of time to install my Mono M4/Mono Mini combo but it was totally worth it once I finished.