mtbr member

If you could only pick one..Which one?

Im trying to decide between which brakes to buy? im stuck..so what would you guys buy?

1st= Avid Code 5 Disc Brake 2010

2nd. Choice=Avid Elixir R Disc Brake 2009

Any pros and cons would be great thanks guys!!

mtbr member
    I already had Elixir's (185mm F/R) on my trail bike went back and forth between the two for my freeride bike and decided to go for the Elixir R's (203mm F/R)

I never used the Codes but the Elixir's have been perfect with huge amounts of stopping power and the modulation is awesome.... I can lock a wheel with any crappy brake but with the Elixirs I can feel when it before it breaks loose so for be great modulation=more usable power.

I am 220 pounds and have not had any over heating, brake fade issues of any kind

mtbr member
    yea im around the same size...and looking to get 203's but im concerned bc its dwn hill time and i need brakes to keep up...im new to buying brakes and kinda lost

mtbr member
    My Elixirs work perfectly with one finger for the DH parks I go to (Wisp, 7 Springs, Snowshoe) They say the Codes are going to resist over heating better but I do not have 20 min DH runs around here so its not an issue for me.

Some brake talk in the DH/FR forum
    Question: the best braking sistem for DH bikes

Quote Originally Posted by h2bmess
    yea im around the same size...and looking to get 203's but im concerned bc its dwn hill time and i need brakes to keep up...im new to buying brakes and kinda lost

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lee
    My Elixirs work perfectly with one finger for the DH parks I go to (Wisp, 7 Springs, Snowshoe) They say the Codes are going to resist over heating better but I do not have 20 min DH runs around here so its not an issue for me.

Some brake talk in the DH/FR forum
    Question: the best braking sistem for DH bikes
    Thanks!!

mtbr member
    bumping for any other opinions

mtbr member
    May 2007
    JUst FYI
    Avid brakes, but not every single one, have this notorious "turkey gobble" issue. My BB7's had it mildly. My buddies Juicy 7's had it bad on the rear.

Hope, Formula and Magura offer comparable brakes to Avid without the Turkey Gobble.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I rode shimano brakes for years, and loved the feel, but now that I am on a set of elixirs, I don't know if I could run anything else. The feel is great, and there's plenty of power, and adjustable, which is really important for me. I am a real baby if my brakes aren't perfect. Which brings me to the fact that my rear elixir has never been all that reliable. Needs to be bled a lot, and I am not the only one? Real pain in the a#$. I only have the 6" rotors, and they are on a scalpel, but the thing is very quick on the decents. I can only imagine what they would be like on my v-10 with 8"'s

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxadian
    I rode shimano brakes for years, and loved the feel, but now that I am on a set of elixirs, I don't know if I could run anything else. The feel is great, and there's plenty of power, and adjustable, which is really important for me. I am a real baby if my brakes aren't perfect. Which brings me to the fact that my rear elixir has never been all that reliable. Needs to be bled a lot, and I am not the only one? Real pain in the a#$. I only have the 6" rotors, and they are on a scalpel, but the thing is very quick on the decents. I can only imagine what they would be like on my v-10 with 8"'s

nice....i think im going to go with the Elixir CR's

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If you are buying them in person ( not online), I would mention that there has been some issue's with some oem's needing constant bleeding, just to get you off the hook if you have any probs. You know any shop guy is going to give you the old.." no way man, no problems with them..." Anyways, just an idea, if you are getting them online, you will be on your own. Mind you with some shops you are on your own as well!...

You will love them though.

I Void Waranties
    xt's work well for me, heard they can have some trouble when things get frosty out..not that its a problem here where i live.
    The 1st production mountain bike was sold in 1984.
    Anti EBB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by h2bmess
    bumping for any other opinions

I have 203mm Code 5's on my DH bike and 185mm Elixir R's on my everyday bike.
    The Code 5's have great modulation and awesome controllable power.
    The Elixir is a great brake as well but it does not have the power the Code 5's have in my experience.
    The Codes are finicky with getting all the air out of them. Air seems to get trapped in little nooks and you really need to work it to get all the air out and sometimes it still is not all out. I got a good system now for bleeding but it can be annoying and I do not like Avid's bleeding system. It works but could be improved.
    I now want to get rid of my Elixir front and put a Code5 caliper on the Elixir lever.
    I just like the extra control the Code5 gives me on steep descents.

The value of the Code5's is excellent but if cost is not a huge issue I would look at the Shimano Saints. They seem to be less finicky buy the XT's had some issues.

In regard to a couple mentions of "constant bleeding". If you need to constantly bleed your brakes then whomever is doing it is not getting all the air out of the system and they are not using fresh de-gassed brake fluid.

I Void Waranties
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine
    I have 203mm Code 5's on my DH bike and 185mm Elixir R's on my everyday bike.
    The Code 5's have great modulation and awesome controllable power.
    The Elixir is a great brake as well but it does not have the power the Code 5's have in my experience.
    The Codes are finicky with getting all the air out of them. Air seems to get trapped in little nooks and you really need to work it to get all the air out and sometimes it still is not all out. I got a good system now for bleeding but it can be annoying and I do not like Avid's bleeding system. It works but could be improved.
    I now want to get rid of my Elixir front and put a Code5 caliper on the Elixir lever.
    I just like the extra control the Code5 gives me on steep descents.

The value of the Code5's is excellent but if cost is not a huge issue I would look at the Shimano Saints. They seem to be less finicky buy the XT's had some issues.

In regard to a couple mentions of "constant bleeding". If you need to constantly bleed your brakes then whomever is doing it is not getting all the air out of the system and they are not using fresh de-gassed brake fluid.
    what issue's did you have with the XT's? I heard the saints are awesome if you dont mind the extra weight. Only problem that Im aware of in the shimano brakes are due to the freezing issue due to the type of oil they use.
    The 1st production mountain bike was sold in 1984.
    Anti EBB