mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Ice Tech rotors vs HS1 rotors

Hi all,

I was just wondering whether anyone has any experience with these 2 rotors?
    Both are supposed to shed heat but the Ice Tech ones are heavier.
    Do they par up to each other in terms of performance?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Yes and no. The Icetech rotors will stop as well as the HS1s. However if the Icetechs are used with a non-icetech caliper they won't run any cooler. The Icetech system is just that, a system of the rotor and caliper/pads. The combination of the aluminum core Icetech rotor and the Icetech pads with cooling fins serve to significantly lower operating temperatures. Remove either component from the mix and the temps shoot right back up. This is a problem with the Icetech rotor as they are not designed to handle the "normal" heat range of a standard rotor/caliper combination. Shimano does not recommend use of Icetech rotors with non-Icetech calipers. Problems seen in testing include excessive heat warping of the rotor, and prolonged use separation of the aluminium core from the steel out surfaces of the rotor.

With that said, I'm sure the testing was rather over the top, as product testing usually does run to the extremes. So depending on how you ride, braking technique, etc. you might never experience a problem. But do be aware that the potential is there for problems.

Your call on this one.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash View Post
    Shimano does not recommend use of Icetech rotors with non-Icetech calipers.
    Thanks for this information. I'm guessing the vice versa would be less of an issue..icetech calipers with non-icetech rotors?
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    well, i decided to swap out the 180mm HS1 rotor on the back of my 2012 enduro for a 203mm Icetech rotor. with the 180 hs1 it glazed up quick, feel sucked, and was super noisy.

i havent actually gotten to trail test the icetech yet as i am still recovering from an injury, but hope to be back on the trail by sunday to test them out. initially around the parking lot the feel and power was a significant improvement, even comparing to the 200mm HS1 that is still up front the difference was night and day.

without really researching it too much i figured bigger rotor always equals more stopping power, should cool faster, plus the icetech SHOULD still shed heat as well..... i decided to give it a go.

i will report back here with my on-trail experience.
    Juice

mtbr member
    I got the SLX Iceteck calipers and std XT discs brilliant braking .

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Any word on the Ice-tech rotors on non Ice-tech calipers test?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kaneshiro76 View Post
    Any word on the Ice-tech rotors on non Ice-tech calipers test?
    after about 60 miles of riding they have been working great for me. they stay cool and quiet, have not warped. although i havent been on any rides yet that would cause my brakes to fade before the swap so i cant really say if they help in that aspect. but overall i am loving them. actually i just put swapped the front to the icetech today and put 16 miles on it tonight.
    Juice

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Juicen View Post
    after about 60 miles of riding they have been working great for me. they stay cool and quiet, have not warped. although i havent been on any rides yet that would cause my brakes to fade before the swap so i cant really say if they help in that aspect. but overall i am loving them. actually i just put swapped the front to the icetech today and put 16 miles on it tonight.
    Sounds like a winner. Now I've got the aesthetics issue to deal with. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    what aesthetics issues?

personally i was trying to stay away from shimano just because, but i had to give these a try, and they look great on my Enduro.

what dike are you thinking of putting them on?
    Juice

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    what aesthetics issues?

personally i was trying to stay away from shimano just because, but i had to give these a try, and they look great on my Enduro.

what dike are you thinking of putting them on?
    I'm on the build still however. Frame's white with gray marks. I'm thinking Ice-tech 180 or 203mm will look better on the rear since the frame is white. But I'm having second thoughts on the front tyre particularly since the Sektor is black. I'm thinking HS1 will look better in contrast with the black Sektor tubes, front hub and rims. These two competitors' appearance are very distinct. But of course performance is what really matters most in the home-stretch.

Thanks for the input!
    Last edited by kaneshiro76; 03-22-2012 at 02:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    When it comes to brakes, especially the rotors, looks of the ice tech is no reason to not put them on your bike. They have a black center, black matches everything. I will post a pic of my front with a black lyrik for you.
    Juice

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    When it comes to brakes, especially the rotors, looks of the ice tech is no reason to not put them on your bike. They have a black center, black matches everything. I will post a pic of my front with a black lyrik for you.
    Thanks in advance sir!
    Yeah you cant be half-assed when picking these parts. They may hurt you in the future. No one really wants to verify if trees hurt.

agu
    mtbr member
    one potential issue is that the carrier arms of the Icetech rotor may rub on non-Shimano calipers (though I assume you are using a Shimano non Icetech caliper)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by agu View Post
    one potential issue is that the carrier arms of the Icetech rotor may rub on non-Shimano calipers (though I assume you are using a Shimano non Icetech caliper)
    Yes. It's just a non series M446. Pretty heavy and a bit dated to be honest.
    Last edited by kaneshiro76; 03-22-2012 at 10:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have been running a 180mm HS1 front and 160mm HS1 rear with the 2012 XT for about 6 weeks now without any complaints. The combination is very quiet and braking power and modulation is excellent. The XT brake pads appear to track perfectly on the HS1 rotor. Quite pleased with the setup.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter248 View Post
    I have been running a 180mm HS1 front and 160mm HS1 rear with the 2012 XT for about 6 weeks now without any complaints. The combination is very quiet and braking power and modulation is excellent. The XT brake pads appear to track perfectly on the HS1 rotor. Quite pleased with the setup.
    That's good to know!
    I really haven't heard of any issues on the HS1 mating with other calipers. It's finding them here where I'm at that's been an issue for a bit. Just recently found that I've been dealing with the actual distributors. The shipment's just arrived I gather. But the container vans are yet to be breached, which led me to look towards Shimano's Ice-Techs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Yes and no. The Icetech rotors will stop as well as the HS1s. However if the Icetechs are used with a non-icetech caliper they won't run any cooler. The Icetech system is just that, a system of the rotor and caliper/pads. The combination of the aluminum core Icetech rotor and the Icetech pads with cooling fins serve to significantly lower operating temperatures. Remove either component from the mix and the temps shoot right back up. This is a problem with the Icetech rotor as they are not designed to handle the "normal" heat range of a standard rotor/caliper combination. Shimano does not recommend use of Icetech rotors with non-Icetech calipers. Problems seen in testing include excessive heat warping of the rotor, and prolonged use separation of the aluminium core from the steel out surfaces of the rotor.

With that said, I'm sure the testing was rather over the top, as product testing usually does run to the extremes. So depending on how you ride, braking technique, etc. you might never experience a problem. But do be aware that the potential is there for problems.

Your call on this one.

Good Dirt
    That's because they aren't floating. IMO a 2 piece fixed rotor is just a way to shave some grams at the cost of reliability. A floating rotor allows the disc to heat up and expand freely. No heat transfer or fatigue to the carrier. Also, floating rotors allow the pads to maintain equal clamping force on the disc. A fixed 2 piece will just transfer heat between the disc and carrier. Not only that, the disc has no where to go once it heats up and expands.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    here are the pictures of my setup front and rear

Juice

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That's brilliant!
    I'll get RT76 (instead of RT86 Ice Tech) and marinade on it until such time I can upgrade to Ice-tech calipers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Your call on this one.

Good Dirt
    Where did you find the recommendation from Shimano? My LBS is recommending mixing the parts (add Icetech rotors). Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    This is a problem with the Icetech rotor as they are not designed to handle the "normal" heat range of a standard rotor/caliper combination. Shimano does not recommend use of Icetech rotors with non-Icetech calipers. Problems seen in testing include excessive heat warping of the rotor, and prolonged use separation of the aluminium core from the steel out surfaces of the rotor.
    I had never heard of this either and have run RT86 (Icetech) rotors with m985 calipers with standard (non-Icetech) pads for >1 year with no problems.

Any refs or opinions would be interesting. I didn't find anything definitive to forewarn of potential issues by using the usual google-fu.
    80 Mongoose, Z-rims
    84 GT, Araya 7x, Uni Seat, Potts Mod, Holeshot
    92 Rockhopper
    98 Stumpy M2, Z2 BAM
    12 SL-R
    14 Ripley

mtbr member
    I am thinking there is no such thing an IceTech specific caliper...
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by time229er View Post
    I am thinking there is no such thing an IceTech specific caliper...
    I agree and wonder if he was thinking about IceTech pads. I'll keep an open mind towards what he read back in 2012, and sent a PM wondering if any refs still exist. He has been on this site since 2003 so probably has read a few things about bikes

As such it's good food for thought, I have never looked for rotor delam but it wouldn't hurt to check. If finned pads give a ~100C cooling effect, it would be surprising that running IceTech rotors 100C hotter would exceed the designed safety margin. My rear 160 is discolored from heat but still works well so I haven't sanded it. I don't run finned pads because they collect mud.
    80 Mongoose, Z-rims
    84 GT, Araya 7x, Uni Seat, Potts Mod, Holeshot
    92 Rockhopper
    98 Stumpy M2, Z2 BAM
    12 SL-R
    14 Ripley