mtbr member
    Feb 2009

I Want That Solid Feeling!!

Im currently using the 09 Avid Juicy Ultimate. I always like those solid feeling from Hope brakes and not those spongy feeling. Initially I thought it was due to the stock cable so I changed it to Goodridge braided hose. Sad to say, it still doesnt feel solid. What I mean was when I pull in the lever, I want a solid feel as ine lever can pull in anymore and also a strong lever rebound feeling. I just bleed the brakes ytd and I cant get the feeling that I want. Infact my buddies Juicy 5 feels more solid than mine with stock cable..
    Can it be solved or its suppose to be like this for this brake set?

Thanks

JB.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My best guess is trapped air.

banned
    If you're using cables on hydraulic brakes, Goodridge is the least of your worries.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Air somewhere............................

Try pulling the lever and then pulling back on the bleed syringe plunger to create a vacuum. Do the same at the caliper
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    I'm running J5 with Goodridge... for the same reason you describe. They are very solid. I say there is still air some where.
    Bikeless Rider

ride hard take risks
    What Jerky is trying to say is hydraulic brakes use hoses and mechanical uses housing.

The Avid J series are over powerful brakes if your J's are spongy/mushy then you have air or debris in the system.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Sorry wrong forum.... ignore
    Bikeless Rider

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by wyrm
    Sorry wrong forum.... ignore
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

29 some of the time...
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    The Avid J series are over powerful brakes if your J's are spongy/mushy then you have air or debris in the system.
    Not entirely true IME. I have seen several J7 brakes come through the shop I used to work at that had a kind of spongy feel to them. I found that this could be remedied at the time of bleed by closing the caliper bleed screw, putting pressure on the MC syringe, pulling the brake lever to close the system, and capping the MC before releasing the lever. I am not sure why some of the Juicys behave this way, but the fix I just described has firmed up all that I have come across with that issue.

Had I known this trick years ago I probably would still be riding my first generation juicy brakes (they suffered from the soggy lever feel). Instead I sold them off and ran shimano for the last few years. I am back on a set of J5s at the moment and they are pretty solid.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I ve check with my LBS mechanic today.. He say it might be the brake pump problem. I think the brakes have to go.. Dun wanna repair or bleed it again and again...

one less car
    Quote Originally Posted by anglers republic
    I ve check with my LBS mechanic today.. He say it might be the brake pump problem. I think the brakes have to go.. Dun wanna repair or bleed it again and again...
    a set of BB7s and you won't have to anymore. this is why mechs are so much better
    nothing in life is real, so if anything goes wrong, blame the dead guy