mtbr member

I want to know everything about disc brakes

I want to know everything about disc brakes before I get them. I have an 03' RockShox Duck SL with U-Turn on a 97 Specialized S-Works frame. I was thinking this over the other day when I realized there may be unseen variables. I'm hoping the folks who visit the MTBR forums could help me out as they have always. My questions are basically what should I look for in a disc brake. Are the mounts universal? What about the rotor brackets on the hubs, are they universal? I need an adapter for the rear brake, the frame has no disc brake bracket down there. What do I do about that? Not too long ago my rear rim blew out and the hub was shot so I bought a Mavic CrossLand and it's disc and rimbrake compatable. At the moment I'm using Shimono LX V's that are from around 1996 or so. My front wheel is just about shot so I thought that while I replace the wheel I should make the jump to discs, but like I said I don't know anything about them and I like to do all the work on my bike myself. Thanks
    I like to ride bikes.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by otis24
    I want to know everything about disc brakes before I get them. I have an 03' RockShox Duck SL with U-Turn on a 97 Specialized S-Works frame. I was thinking this over the other day when I realized there may be unseen variables. I'm hoping the folks who visit the MTBR forums could help me out as they have always. My questions are basically what should I look for in a disc brake. Are the mounts universal? What about the rotor brackets on the hubs, are they universal? I need an adapter for the rear brake, the frame has no disc brake bracket down there. What do I do about that? Not too long ago my rear rim blew out and the hub was shot so I bought a Mavic CrossLand and it's disc and rimbrake compatable. At the moment I'm using Shimono LX V's that are from around 1996 or so. My front wheel is just about shot so I thought that while I replace the wheel I should make the jump to discs, but like I said I don't know anything about them and I like to do all the work on my bike myself. Thanks
    We could write a whole book about it. Your best bet is to go to your LBS and chit-chat a bit with the wrench.

What to look for?? Depends on your tastes.
    There are two systems to attach the rotors to the hubs. The international standard of 6 bolts (like your Mavics) and the Shimano propietary centerlock. This latter is much like the way a cassette is attached to a hub.

Do you have mounting tabs on your frame (look at the left rear seatstay)???

Your best bet are the Avid Mechanicals. You will have less thins to change and the CPS mounting washers make setting them up easy-cake. It comes ready to install to any mounting style.

Good luck!!
    Check my Site

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by otis24
    I want to know everything about disc brakes
    You can start with our FAQ at the top of this page. You can read Product Reviews here at mtbr. You can talk to local riders and shop people. You can read manufacturers sites. But after all this you still won't know everything.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

just along for the ride
    Upper right hand corner there is a FAQ section, your answers are in there or just click this:

http://www.mtbr.com/techtalks/brakes/brakesfaq.shtml

mtbr member
    Wow that was really helpful. I like the idea of having a disc in the front and a rim brake in the rear. I was thinking of that earlier. The specialized website has an adapter for a rear disc brake for 99-00. I'll have to call them. I wish I'd thought of or read about not overtightning the levers so they will swivel instead of braking in a crash. My right lever is bent from a crash. It gets so muddy here and I go through pads and rims like mad. But I only weigh 154 pounds and race XC not downhill. It seems like the mechs would be better. I'm not a weight freak either. My bike wieghs just over 24 pounds. So, me, my bike and my pack only wiegh 181 pounds.
    I like to ride bikes.