Jul 2011

I think i F'ed Up...

So i was cleaning my bike because it was infected with mud due to the trials and all the rain from the week. So when cleaning i sprayed WD-40 on the brakes.

Needless to say the brakes are making a squicking noise and are not braking properly.

What do i do !!!!!
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Clean the rotors with isopropyl alcohol. Others will chime in and advise you to remove the brake pads and heat them with a torch or in a frying pan until the WD-40 is burned off. In your case, I recommend replacing the pads.

In the future, only clean the rotors with Isopropyl alcohol or plain water (for mud). No soap, oils, degreasers, etc.

Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Clean the rotors with isopropyl alcohol. Others will chime in and advise you to remove the brake pads and heat them with a torch or in a frying pan until the WD-40 is burned off. In your case, I recommend replacing the pads.

In the future, only clean the rotors with Isopropyl alcohol or plain water (for mud). No soap, oils, degreasers, etc.
    Thanks! Is there any way to save the pads. I mean it's a new bike and ive used it maybe 10-15 times only ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You can try burning the oil off followed by a light sanding.

addicted
    Sometimes sanding the pads down a little will save them. It depends if they were totally saturated with oil or just got some over spray. +1 on cleaning the rotors with alcohol before putting the pads back in.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by E19Talon29 View Post
    Thanks! Is there any way to save the pads. I mean it's a new bike and ive used it maybe 10-15 times only ?
    Old fry pan med heat wait til they stop smoking 10 to 15 minutes.

Then light sand and reinstall.

Class Clown
    Brake Time - sponsored by WD40!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    To the OP...you have all of the information you need in this thread (your thread).

Just stay away from the thread linked to above. Unless you just want the entertainment value of a guy that wants to try everything wrong.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My last post:

I just heated the pads, sanded them, cleaned with degreaser, sanded again, cleaned with meths and cotton balls, sanded again, meths again. Then the rotor a couple of times with meths and cotton ball and sanded about 3 times.

Then just bed them in again.

It worked great.

Jul 2011
    Thank You guys. I've been out of action for a few days due to a infection i caught on my feet on the trials. Soon as i get better I'm going to try the above! Thanks Again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    At least it's not an infection you caught at a whore house eh?

Rub it............
    WD40 is only good for sticky shifters.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post

Why would you not clean pads and rotors with Brake Cleaner..... That is exactly what its made for.

Just an FYI, isopropal alcohol is not a brake cleaner and can actually dry out seals causing issues.

I agree that once pads are contaminated, they are junk. Buy new ones, stopping is important.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Why would you not clean pads and rotors with Brake Cleaner..... That is exactly what its made for.

Just an FYI, isopropal alcohol is not a brake cleaner and can actually dry out seals causing issues.

I agree that once pads are contaminated, they are junk. Buy new ones, stopping is important.
    I do use brake cleaner to clean my brake pads and rotors, but stating that on this forum usually results in several posters saying some brake cleaners leave a residue behind that will cause the end of the world. It's not worth starting that argument.

I recommended using iso alcohol on the rotors. It works well for that and I frequently use it (91%) as well. No where did I say to use iso on the pads or calipers/seals, but thanks for straightening out what I didn't say.