mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I switched from BB7 to Elixer R's...

So far so good. I thought the prices on the Elixer R's were so good I had to try them...

I've been using BB7's on 2 bikes for about 4 years now. I have no complaints about the BB7's at all. Period. I don't mind the quick adjustments. I like the way they feel at the lever. I've never needed more power. And I love how I can get the lever to engage power close to the bar which is easier on my hands.

The Elixir R's look sweet. I expect that they are lighter, which is nice, but I can't tell that went I'm riding. They have been quiet and very powerful since I installed them. The lever doesn't feel as nice on my finger as the SD7, but I used that for over 4 years. I think the lever is a little wider (or taller), and flatter. It doesn't bother me at all, but its not as contoured as the SD7 is my point. The adjustable banjo is nice (my friend also got some but his didn't have it). I like the drop in pad loading. It also makes it really easy to gauge pad wear (I like that a lot).

My only quibble (and the thing that would make me get the Elixir CR's next time) is that even after adjusting the reach all the way in, the levers contact the pads farther away from the bar than I would like. I'm assuming that the CR's would be able to fix this issue.

Was this a good upgrade? I can't say it was yet, but only because it was over $200 I didn't need to spend given that I already liked my BB7's. I don't think I'll be taking them off the FS bike though, so I guess they are there to stay.

So in summary: Avid Elixir R's are a great and powerful brake for the money. I highly recommend them.

TNC
    noMAD man
    WIWR, are you sure you don't have any adjustment left on the reach adjuster? I'm sure you found that they are not silky smooth and require some effort to turn in or out. All the ones I've seen through the shop so far seem to have enough adjustment to almost bring the lever to the bar...not saying yours aren't fully turned in, but they are darned stiff to turn. If you're sure the adjuster is tapped out, you may have too much fluid in the system. This usually results in brake drag, but one poster here awhile back reported that his shop was able to drain a tiny bit of fluid out of the master cylinder which reduced lever position back to a more desireable location. In my experience too much fluid in the system has always resulted in some drag, but I haven't been into an Elixir master cylinder to see if it's much different in design.

Tossin the salad.
    I was wondering about the new Avid Elixir's.

I have Juicy 5 on my 29'er and on my XC I just installed some BB7s.

Overall the BB7's are nice and simple, but they just don't bite the my juicy's. I also trued the new pads and did the best adjustment on the BB7s. They stop when I apply them. When I squeez hard they bite, but they drag. When I apply the brakes hard on the front (bb7s) its pretty hard to pull up the rear wheel. On the juicy's when I lock it, they lock on me. I love the bite. Overall comparing BB7 to my juicy, Iike the Juicy better, but I do know the bb7s are reliable and easy to make few adjustments. What I may do is add alcohol to the disc's to see if they'll bite better if they do not improve in my next couple of rides.

-Oh I am glad you enjoy the Avid Elixir's. I plan to get them in the near future. Prolly add them to my sons bike.

slamma
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    WIWR, are you sure you don't have any adjustment left on the reach adjuster? I'm sure you found that they are not silky smooth and require some effort to turn in or out. All the ones I've seen through the shop so far seem to have enough adjustment to almost bring the lever to the bar...not saying yours aren't fully turned in, but they are darned stiff to turn. If you're sure the adjuster is tapped out, you may have too much fluid in the system. This usually results in brake drag, but one poster here awhile back reported that his shop was able to drain a tiny bit of fluid out of the master cylinder which reduced lever position back to a more desireable location. In my experience too much fluid in the system has always resulted in some drag, but I haven't been into an Elixir master cylinder to see if it's much different in design.

question for you, i just got a pair of Elixir's on my Reign and after a few rides, they basically feel like they are full of air both sides squeeze all they way down and have just enough force for the pads to grab the rotors. i recently positioned my bike against the wall (tires vertical) i don't know if the position if the brakes makes a difference, i would hope not, but do i just need to bleed them, or is having them in that position causing this problem ? i don't see any fluid leaks anywhere either.
    Ride with timeless creed

slamma

never mind

Quote Originally Posted by SPRAG
    question for you, i just got a pair of Elixir's on my Reign and after a few rides, they basically feel like they are full of air both sides squeeze all they way down and have just enough force for the pads to grab the rotors. i recently positioned my bike against the wall (tires vertical) i don't know if the position if the brakes makes a difference, i would hope not, but do i just need to bleed them, or is having them in that position causing this problem ? i don't see any fluid leaks anywhere either.
    never mind apparently they go back to normal if you pump them a few times, i guess all the fluid backs up in the reservoir.....first hydro brakes
    Ride with timeless creed

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SPRAG
    never mind apparently they go back to normal if you pump them a few times, i guess all the fluid backs up in the reservoir.....first hydro brakes
    I'm not sure this is exactly normal. My rear brake sometimes has the lever moving more towards the bar than the front. It doesn't feel quite right. But then it goes away after a while. Its not been a problem yet, but I don't think it should be doing this...

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    I'm not sure this is exactly normal. My rear brake sometimes has the lever moving more towards the bar than the front. It doesn't feel quite right. But then it goes away after a while. Its not been a problem yet, but I don't think it should be doing this...
    Yeah, that type of inconsistency is "usually" a sign of a small amount of air in the system. From what I've seen so far at our shop, I don't think the design of the Elixir will cause it to be quite as finicky about bleed issues as say Juicy's, but it's still a hydraulic system, and things have to be just about perfect for solid, consistent performance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    SPRAG,
    I don't think it is too unusual to get new brakes that need to be re-bled. The front brake on mine had so much air in the line (from the factory) that I thought I had a leak in the line somewhere...I just kept drawing air bubbles and had a spongy lever. I bled the brake twice and finally got the air out. The levers are firm and need no pumping. They have worked flawlessly since. I would think you need to re-blead your brakes.

I love my R's
    Mikey