In my mind, I can do it!

I need a part I can't find

I have an old GT Avalanche I robbed parts off for the new ride. I want to build out the old bike and have the original ridged fork to put on but I think I screwed up and lost the cable hanger for that old fork. The first shock I put on the bike had a cable guide/hanger built in so I think I must have lost or thrown away the original guide.

I can't seem to find one that will work. I bought one that is notched, the hole for the fork tube is way too big and the way its designed there would be no room for the cable when its installed under the stem.

Anyone know where I could find an old part like this? Can't put V's on it at the present so I have to go back to the canti's.

mtbr member
    check aebike.com
    for example http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?Page...ory=742&type=T
    or danscomp.com

you're talking about a cable hanger that won't work (like the one in this pic)? Did you buy one for a 1 1/8" headset and you have a 1" headset? threaded or threadless?
    I had a 1 1/8" hanger similar to one pictured that came on my wife's bike (a '97ish gary fisher) that I just used on my 1" headtube (used 1 1/8"-1" adapter shim w/ 1 1/8" threadless stem) which has a fair amt of drop (more than the one in pic).
    some of these cable hangers have more drop than others and your local bike shop should be able to get what you need (either old stock around or order from QBP).

Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    I have an old GT Avalanche I robbed parts off for the new ride. I want to build out the old bike and have the original ridged fork to put on but I think I screwed up and lost the cable hanger for that old fork. The first shock I put on the bike had a cable guide/hanger built in so I think I must have lost or thrown away the original guide.

I can't seem to find one that will work. I bought one that is notched, the hole for the fork tube is way too big and the way its designed there would be no room for the cable when its installed under the stem.

Anyone know where I could find an old part like this? Can't put V's on it at the present so I have to go back to the canti's.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by logbiter
    check aebike.com
    for example http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?Page...ory=742&type=T
    or danscomp.com

you're talking about a cable hanger that won't work (like the one in this pic)? Did you buy one for a 1 1/8" headset and you have a 1" headset? threaded or threadless?
    I had a 1 1/8" hanger similar to one pictured that came on my wife's bike (a '97ish gary fisher) that I just used on my 1" headtube (used 1 1/8"-1" adapter shim w/ 1 1/8" threadless stem) which has a fair amt of drop (more than the one in pic).
    some of these cable hangers have more drop than others and your local bike shop should be able to get what you need (either old stock around or order from QBP).
    The one I bought is like the one below. It was for a threaded headset, which mine is not, but I figured it should work. My headset is 1 1/8 and this one was bigger than that.

The problem solvers may work but that noodle may be too long as well. There is almost no space below the stem. Maybe I could use a spacer as well.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images