Thread: I need H E L P!

mtbr member
    May 2009

I need H E L P!

I have a Yeti asx running avid BBD8( new ) with 160 rotor, off a shermin fork, and the wheel still rolls when I engage the brakes. It makes me nervous in technical sections. I've tried adjustments with the same result. Any ideas guys/gals?

mtbr member
    what you mean by wheel still rolls? of course it'll still roll, it it stops right away, you crash. does it slow down but just not as fast as you like or feels like there's no power at all? how does level feel? firm? all the way to the bar? front and rears feel the same?

if you have firm lever but weak stopping power, it's probably the pads. maybe they haven't been broken in yet or got contaminated. if front and rear different, you could swap front and rear to see if the problem is normal or not.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yes, they dont have enough stopping power. I had the BBD7 and they did the same thing. So I bought new front brakes and it didnt correct the problem. The rear brakes are just fine.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    When you changed out the caliper did you change the rotor, too? Did you bed in the pads? What brake levers are you using? Are there any kinks in the housing between the lever and the caliper? Did your kids think they were doing you a favor by oiling your front brake rotor? (don't laugh, it's happened to people before and it will happen again!)

Try cleaning your front rotor with denatured alcohol (avoid rubbing alcohol as it is only 70% alcohol by volume and the remainder is water and oil. The oil will make braking really exciting the next time you point the bike downhill.

What brakes do you have? There are BBDBs (Ball Bearing Disc Brakes), BB5s and BB7s (and the BBDB and BB7 are essentially the same brake)....but no BBD8s. More information on exactly what's going on like the others have asked would be helpful...also what do you weigh? How steep is the terrain you're riding?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    May 2009

New question here.

Yes, The Roter Was Changed. The Brake Levers Are Avids As Well, But Dont Know The Model. There Are No Kinks Between The Housing And Calipers. Sorry, The Calipers Are Bbdb And I Am About 195lb, And Didnt Have A Problem Before. And The Terrain Is Steep At Times.

Quote Originally Posted by bLaZiN YeTi Mon
    Yes, The Roter Was Changed. The Brake Levers Are Avids As Well, But Dont Know The Model. There Are No Kinks Between The Housing And Calipers. Sorry, The Calipers Are Bbdb And I Am About 195lb, And Didnt Have A Problem Before. And The Terrain Is Steep At Times.
    Doesn't it hurt to type that many capitals? Keep on with the info...details, man, details. While I am actually a mind reader, you must be out of my range...
    suum quique

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Okay, now we're getting somewhere. More questions: did you bed in the brake pads? Have you tried cleaning the brake pads and rotor? Automotive brake cleaner would work here as well as the denatured alcohol that I mentioned before.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Guys, Im new at this. Bare with me and dont lose hope. But, what is bedding down the pads?

Try the FAQ in the upper right corner of this page...
    suum quique

mtbr member
    May 2009
    A little bit more clarity please.

A little bit more clarity please.

Exactly.
    suum quique

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Your a jerk off!

mtbr member
    bedding the pads and a bunch of other general disk brake info, broken picture links and not all that helpful.... I usually do better searching or posting specific question, some people freak out and tell you to use the search but REALLY if we all searched for everything there would only be 3 new post a day

http://www.mtbr.com/discbrakesfaqcrx.aspx#operation
    http://www.mtbr.com/discbrakesfaqcrx.aspx

Try asking again and be VERY specific (model numbers), try to explain EXACTLY what it going on (lever moves but pads are not contacting the rotor?....) the mnore specific you can be the better chance of getting help here... some of these guys are scary how well they diagnose an issue without ever seeing the bike

1 out of 20 possible issues is that with with BB5's and BB7 only one brake pad actually moves so you need to get the stationary pad real close to the rotor or you end up flexing the rotor to the pad (spongy feeling and weak stopping power)

Your best bet may just be to clean the rotor (as mentioned above) and start over following the directions to the letter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1kezXQVnLY
    How to install Avid BB7 disc brakes

Ray

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thank you, Ray Lee. Im going to study the info and then get to work.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Your a jerk off!
    Dude, that was uncalled for. If you look in the upper right-hand corner of the screen you will see that there is a disc brake FAQ that Bikinfoolferlife was trying to point you to. It has the very info that Ray Lee linked you to. If you read that before you posted this thread you may have resolved your problem without ever having posted anything. Remember, you needed the help, we are here to help you. Calling people names will only alienate you from the help you are seeking. I'm done with this thread.

Your a jerk off!
    I'm a jerkoff? You're the one who was so busy jerking off as to not read the FAQ in the first place until someone laid it in your lap (displacing your activities I assume).
    suum quique

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I appoligize, I may have misunderstood bikinfoolferlife's ficisious humor for arrogance. Im only asking for help and not to get belittled.

I appoligize, I may have misunderstood bikinfoolferlife's ficisious humor for arrogance. Im only asking for help and not to get belittled.
    Hey no problems...but I did suggest the FAQ a while back. Basically bedding in is mating the pads and rotors, and there's a bit of transfer material involved. When you use new pads or rotors you need to allow some bedding in before full stopping power is achieved. I like to bed mine in with a number of gradual stops on a downslope, usually do it on the hills around my home on the street before going off to the trails...
    suum quique

mtbr member
    May 2009

many thanks

Thanks guys, I did everything you guys suggested and IT WORKS! Now I just have to find the time to really try my handy work. Thankyou again.