mtbr member

I need disc brakes that don't suck

I need some new disc brakes. I have Hayes stroker trails right now and the front brake needs a master cylinder rebuild after less then a season. The leaver sticks when you pull it and it takes time for the leaver to come back. And now it grabs after half the lever travel of the rear. I have had problems with several Avid brakes and I don't really want to go back to them. I was looking at maybe Hope or Magura. But it seems like finding parts or service locally could be a problem. I really don't want to spend more then $150 a wheel.

mtbr member
    Shimano! Easy to work on, easy to find parts, interchangeable....and just plain work!

You should be able to easily find a model to fit your budget.

"El Whatever"
    Almost anything not Hayes or Avid will do.

Others' opinion may vary.

Hope, Magura, Shimano, Formula... all of them you'll be hard pressed to find a model on their line up that sucks.

You mention getting spares from Hope/Magura in your area may be difficult. What is your location?
    Magura has top notch service in the US (and Mexico, for what matters). Formula does also. I don't know about Hope and I would not be surprised if you find Shimano at Walmart.

Magura MT2 and MT4, Shimano SLX and possibly the XT come to my mind given your budget. Hope... maybe ebay or blowouts if you look for.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Shimano XT M785. Under $150 a wheel and get consistent good reviews.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zerokoo149 View Post
    Shimano XT M785. Under $150 a wheel and get consistent good reviews.
    +1. Shimano's SLX are just a good, and trade away some adjustability for a lower price.

Get the IceTech rotors too. Just do it.

I recently put a set of SLX brakes and IceTech rotors on a recent build. All my turkey-gobble problems vanished. Braking is now some of the best I've ever had. I couldn't be happier.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    IceTech is nice, but I don't think essential if you're on a budget. I've seen the Shimano Hydro brakes work great with SRAM, Hayes, and Tektro rotors without any gobble and good stopping power.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zerokoo149 View Post
    IceTech is nice, but I don't think essential if you're on a budget.
    I agree. I probably got a bit over-zealous on the rotors.

Also, if on a budget, the Shimano Alivio hydros are worth a look. I've been happy with my set, and you see them as take-offs on eBay from time to time for less than a hundred.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Last note for now, check out blueskycycling.com, they have some very good deals on several of the Shimano hydro brake kits going on right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Almost anything not Hayes or Avid will do.

Others' opinion may vary.

Hope, Magura, Shimano, Formula... all of them you'll be hard pressed to find a model on their line up that sucks.

You mention getting spares from Hope/Magura in your area may be difficult. What is your location?
    Magura has top notch service in the US (and Mexico, for what matters). Formula does also. I don't know about Hope and I would not be surprised if you find Shimano at Walmart.

Magura MT2 and MT4, Shimano SLX and possibly the XT come to my mind given your budget. Hope... maybe ebay or blowouts if you look for.
    I'm in Fort Collins Co. The shops in my area are all Sram shops. One does allot of Shimano. I guess my problem is I have never really been a fan of the big S. But I have never used there disc brakes.

mtbr member
    Price Point has some good deals on brakes right now.
    Magura MT 2- $94.98
    MT 4- $154.98
    Formula RX-$119.98

Or Hope Tech X2 Evo- $139.99 at JensonUSA.

Helmetless Crasher
    All hydro disc brakes can have issues. It's a fairly complicated system for a bicycle.

I would not rule out a certain brand or type of brake system based on one isolated experience.

I had great luck over the past year with a set of Hayes Stroker Carbons. Very good performance. Maintenence free. No problems whatsoever.

I now have XT's, and love them, but they are known to have seal/hose leakage problems. If mine leak, I will not declare them POS and move to a different brand.

There is no affordable silver brake bullet.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Love my Shimano 785 brakes.

mtbr member
    good info!

mtbr member
    Hope !! no way..
    a bit expensive but they work great !
    Hope Tech X2 are perfect XC brakes or Tech Evo M4 if you need more power
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I need disc brakes that don't suck-pichop.jpg  

I need disc brakes that don't suck-i-007-large-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chiave04 View Post
    Hope !! no way..
    They definitely look pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Hope !! no way..
    Thanx for the pics. So I take it you like them? They are going on a 29er hardtail. Its my race bike do every thing bike so I want them to work and to be reliable. Also how tough is it to trim the braided lines?

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    Price Point has some good deals on brakes right now.
    Magura MT 2- $94.98
    MT 4- $154.98
    Formula RX-$119.98

Or Hope Tech X2 Evo- $139.99 at JensonUSA.
    Check price WITH rotors and adapters.

Some rotors are dirt cheap (like Alligators @ ~15bucks a side) and others really expensive (Ice-Tech's run around 40 bucks at pricepoint, Hopes can be more expensive).
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    i think you need Tech X2 model ,it works very well...powerful, almost light ...no noise ;-)!
    no braided lines! only special make up EVO has Goodridge hose;

Sup
    I run hope brakes on my 3 bikes
    They just work and are rebuild able
    I blame my hope addiction on Avid

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Check price WITH rotors and adapters.

Some rotors are dirt cheap (like Alligators @ ~15bucks a side) and others really expensive (Ice-Tech's run around 40 bucks at pricepoint, Hopes can be more expensive).
    Unfortunately they don't sell them as complete systems any more. I have a bunch of different rotors so I'm hopping I can make them work till I can get better stuff for what ever brake system I end up getting.

And a side note Hayes is going to rebuild my stroker trails for fee. Good on them I like that. I just don't like having to ship them back and be with out brakes.

mtbr member
    i think you need Tech X2 model ,it works very well...powerful, almost light ...no noise ;-)!
    no braided lines! only special make up EVO has Goodridge hose;
    JensonUSA has an option for the X2 EVOs with black braided lines.

Hope Tech X2 Evo Disc Brake 2012 > Components > Brakes > Disc Brakes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Another vote for Shimano XT's. I've had them for almost a year now on two different bikes and they've been fantastic. Quiet, powerful, great modulation and feel...can't complain.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I've always had Avid's on my bikes in the past, Juicy 7's. Never had an issue. Never had any noise. I put 40-50 miles on my bikes per week during nice weather.

My current bike came with Shimano SLX and they feel about the same. Had some trouble getting the rear to quit making noise and I learned that they are very sensitive as to how the pads are bedded in.

They all can be good or they all can be bad. Depends on how they're set up and maintained.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    im in the process of upgrading mine (currently running clarks skeletals, not that great) and i've managed to get a shimano zee caliper, shimano deore lever, suitable hose, and enough mineral oil all for about 90 GBP (or around $140 USD), seems fair to me! but if thats not to your taste, then i'd suggest shimano xt, easy to work on and super reliable
    Last edited by pikls_94; 09-15-2012 at 01:59 PM.